Brown sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelec23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437874098.794883.jpg

So this sand use to be white and now it is brown on top was wondering what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could just mean that it's dirty. Not saying it is but is a reasonable explanation. How often do you vacuum the tank?

Caleb

I clean the tank weekly take everything out, vacuum and stir the sand. It use to be very white now looks dirty... Was wondering if I changed it out if it would come back again...

How do you get rid of diatoms

Mike is probably right.

Diatoms feed off silicates in the water. Once the silicates are gone, so are the diatoms. Water changes help make this process faster but usually it's just a waiting game.

Caleb

Try also after water changes, doing your lighting differently. Try leaving the light on for 4 hour periods with a rest time (called a siesta) in between of say 2 hours or 4 off.

Frequently I would do morning and evening when I was home to admire them and off while I was at work.

I have had excellent luck with doing this and had Diatoms for just a few days only once because the light was left on all night. And I have started 30+ tanks.

Ok thanks will try that I usually leave it off when I'm at work and turn it on when I get home but that's at 1 and turn it off at bed time. So that's like 8 hours.

Your tank is probly just dirty do a water change and it should be fine

Ok thanks will try that I usually leave it off when I'm at work and turn it on when I get home but that's at 1 and turn it off at bed time. So that's like 8 hours.

The point being only on for 3-4 hours per photo period, with 2 off, to start, see if that doesn't help, of course they can go away on their own over time.

Back
Top Bottom