brown/tan algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzzh8c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a new tank running now and the fish seem okay, but the only algae I see building up is a brownish color up high on the holey rock (both real and imitation).

The fish don't seem to pay any attention to it. Am I not getting green algae because of the LED light I'm using. Will a pleco eat this brown stuff?

Yes! My friend has the same stuff on his holey rock its brown algae its usally from overfeeding, high temp, and direct sunlight mostly direct sunlight a baby bristlenose or male bristlenose pleco will eat it.

- I love Mbuna and SA cichlids

Yes! My friend has the same stuff on his holey rock its brown algae its usally from overfeeding, high temp, and direct sunlight mostly direct sunlight a baby bristlenose or male bristlenose pleco will eat it.

- I love Mbuna and SA cichlids

"brown algae" is actually diatoms, and are quite normal in a new system. Generally come when there are high silicates in the water, and will go away when those levels decrease. I have a tank right now that I just set up and has diatoms, yet its not in sunlight at all, not over fed, and is not a high temp. The bloom is pretty common, and bristlenose generally do eat diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom