Bubba643 180 gallon freshwater planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The metal frame posts are 2"x2" so metal self tap would work as long as they weren't to long. I guess I need to decide on facade or traditional cabinet doors to access. I think if I go doors I definitely want to secure permanently to metal frame.
You can just drill sink holes into the boards you're putting up then cover them up with a molding of your choice or perhaps try to find some self tapping screws of a different color that would make it blend in well with your design, if that's the case I could imagine some sort of look like the barrels of rum or gun powder they had on those Victorian sailboats way back then, due to your bow front. As I think about it that concept is actually pretty easy to do, just a bunch of thin stripped planks lined up vertically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to fastening hidden strips behind skin or facing. I only use self taps with light gauge metal, duct work and such.. the threads wear fast in heavier gauges. Wood moves..

I like the magnet idea and actually on the whole metal gig...:ermm:
Some of us aren't just craftsman carpenters....Some of us have 10' shop brakes in our shop and custom bend metal [copper :whistle:] also...
How about wraping with sheet metal.Most roofing supply places will have 24 ga painted steel in 4X10 sheets in 26 colors. Car finish quality for about $50 a sheet. They can even cut and bend it to your custom plan if they have a shop. That would be super light and you don't require the structural integrity of wood at all.1 piece front radius with 2 90s...Piece of cake..:cool:

Brooksters build is solid...Anyone can start any job ,only a craftsman can finish them all.(y)

I like the magnet idea. Corrugated metal sprayed with acid or something would be sweet. I'm a wood guy by default. Metal demands an entirely different skill set, im offering my best in joining the 2
.i can totally appreciate the finish of a metal wrap though;)

THANK YOU -_- coralbandit, could have not been said better! So really brookster you've got 3 to 4 different ideas you can do, any of them would work as good as a blanket wrapped around it since you've got the weight factor removed from the equation
I like the magnet idea and actually on the whole metal gig...:ermm:
Some of us aren't just craftsman carpenters....Some of us have 10' shop brakes in our shop and custom bend metal [copper :whistle:] also...
How about wraping with sheet metal.Most roofing supply places will have 24 ga painted steel in 4X10 sheets in 26 colors. Car finish quality for about $50 a sheet. They can even cut and bend it to your custom plan if they have a shop. That would be super light and you don't require the structural integrity of wood at all.1 piece front radius with 2 90s...Piece of cake..:cool:

Brooksters build is solid...Anyone can start any job ,only a craftsman can finish them all.(y)

I like the magnet idea. Corrugated metal sprayed with acid or something would be sweet. I'm a wood guy by default. Metal demands an entirely different skill set, im offering my best in joining the 2
.i can totally appreciate the finish of a metal wrap though;)
Whisky or rum barrel idea????? Can wrap a metal band thats acid stained and rivet them in along with the board to secure it.... that's a new thought! Anyways back to the orginai idea not rivets can use self tapping screws or small bolts and if say you'd have a [edit] stand

The possibilities are endless. Boils down to individual ability and willingness I guess.. oh yah.. and $$$$$

The possibilities are endless. Boils down to individual ability and willingness I guess.. oh yah.. and $$$$$
O....M....G...big thing $$$$$ ....*SIGHS* , anyways that's where I mainly focus my thoughts and suggestions on, due to my limitations on income.

O....M....G...big thing $$$$$ ������ ....*SIGHS* , anyways that's where I mainly focus my thoughts and suggestions on, due to my limitations on income.
I have never seen a hurst pulling a trailer...:whistle:
You can't take it with you.. I say spend it and bend it!:dance:
:thanks: :thanks:

All great suggestions, I'll check around to see what options I have on the metal idea. Guess the canopy or hanging box would be easy once I figure out the bottom.

Well no new progress on stand but I added the first plants yesterday Anub coffee, amazon sword and a melon sword. Going to see how they do and then add more. Bought a few more manzanita pieces online to be added soon.IMG_1534.JPG

Really digging these mars aqua lights check out my emerald green algae growth on resin. Looks cool as long as I can control it I guess...

Attachments

• IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 66
What kind of "naturals" sand did you use? Was it the Caribsea or just pool filter sand or similar?

What kind of "naturals" sand did you use? Was it the Caribsea or just pool filter sand or similar?

Super Naturals which I think is caribsea. It was a little pricey but the geo's love it, looks like they are puffing smoke from their gils 24-7. I have 9 20lb bags in so far might add another later

Back
Top Bottom