Bubba643 180 gallon freshwater planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba643

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well it's official, my 180 drilled bowfront is in place in my house. Wanted to start a thread to document before and after. Gunna take my time with this one, post pics, and get some thoughts from you guys each step of the way.

Filled yesterday to test for leaks and drained, no leaks. Plumbing is next. Looks like two returns (1")and two overflows drilled (main 1 1/2") backup (1"). I have the bulkheads and connection pvc but would it be best to start with new from scratch? Also it was saltwater previously any steps I should take(soaking tank, etc) to make sure it doesn't affect my freshwater set up now?

Costs so far:

$150 tank, metal stand, 30 gallon sump (Craigslist is awesome)

$40 tip for moving crew(labor was free, managing a moving company perk ;)

Fish this will be built around will be several pair of Electric Blue Acara, tank mates to be determined at a later date.

IMG_1398.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 221
Booom! Beast mode engaged!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

****nnnnn! $150??? Hahah SCORE! I would start with new plumbing just cause im OCD and would really like to have everything new and tidy.

Im not too sure about cleaning the tank, id probably give it a good cleaning with some vinegar but again im not sure.

Great tank brother!

****nnnnn! $150??? Hahah SCORE! I would start with new plumbing just cause im OCD and would really like to have everything new and tidy.

Im not too sure about cleaning the tank, id probably give it a good cleaning with some vinegar but again im not sure.

Great tank brother!

Thanks man, yeah hardest part was not bugging the guy I bought it from too much. I was like a kid wanting to go downstairs xmas morning for two days prior to pickup.

Need a new pump. Any suggestions on make and model? I would like to turn this 180 over 8-10 times per hour if possible but at least 6 minimum. I'm going to use the 30 gallon sump to start and build larger one custom to my liking later.
Looking for the highest turnover possible with a slow river type tank flow for the Acara.

Main drain is 1 1/2" and back up is 1" and I have two returns with splits at end. So return from pump will be split once underneath and each of those split again in tank if that matters. Quiet is a plus but I like running water and would say my tolerance for pump noise is moderate compared to most. Under $100 would be nice but willing to go higher if it's for more reliable quiet etc.

Ohhhhhhhhh my my my my!!!! ?????? Cannot get over the thought of how sexy that beast is gonna look!!! Seriously looking forward to the updates. Now I'm "the little boy just wanting to bolt downstairs" ??? as going for noise level I'm not the person to ask since I'm deaf so noise isn't much of an issue [emoji16]

1489251736719.jpg

Attachments

• 1489251736719.jpg
    1489251736719.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 278
Omg it's going to be awesome. I did not know they made bow fronts that big. Was that a special order? I want one for my Oscar tank

Omg it's going to be awesome. I did not know they made bow fronts that big. Was that a special order? I want one for my Oscar tank

Not sure, it was a Craigslist right time right place thing. I see them on there from time to time in other area's but they are $$$$. This one cost me $150 which is basically free considering. Couldn't believe my luck. If you want one really bad I would just keep a saved search on Craigslist app for "fish tank" or "aquarium" and check it once a day. Got to be quick on the draw but it will save thousands literally on these big tanks.

PS: it would be an awesome Oscar tank. My LFS today had a trade in tiger Oscar 12 inches of awesomeness. It's my favorite fish and I'm seriously considering one for this tank, but I'm worried it might butcher my EBA's. I'm curious because my EBA's act identical to my Oscars I had years ago, just bright blue and half the size full grown.

Oh wow. I did look for the price of those fish tanks and they are thousands I will take your advice and look on craigslist. You did get your tank for free that is for sure good luck in your fishy venture. And thank you for getting back to me

Got plumbing all but done. Waiting for silicone on bulk heads to dry. Went "naturals" river sand after much deliberation. Was thinking black sand but decided with black background it might be a little too dark. Going to try a cheap sun sun pump just to get the sump filtering and will prolly upgrade once I get tank settled. Next up water testing and possibly fishless cycle although I do have media to seed with which might be easier. Then the fun part center piece driftwood shopping/hunting. I soaked the big pumice boulders but cut my fingers a few times which made me decide not to use them in the tank aquascape. Have a 40 breeder set up for my live plant nursery. First attempt at live plants so wanted to try that before messing up the new tank with my trial and error. Saving the lights for last looks like my DIY 49" leds will do the job for now.

IMG_1407.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 223
It's going to be absolutely beautiful. So glad you got it. I am sooooo jealous but so happy for you.

Alright got the sump working, ordered some Mars Aqua 165w lights on amazon tonight, electrician hat to be put on at later date. Also took your stocking advice Brookster and ordered 5 geo red head juvies online to go with the EBA's they sound interesting, will add some green and red color, and a solid match for conditions and demeanor. Thinking maybe one phantom green pleco to round out the tank when I find one I like. Wondering about overstocking though,

5 geo's 2-3" (to start)
4-6 EBA's (1 adult, five 3")
1 green phantom (2-3")

12 5"-7" adults too much?

Now that's a bow front!!!!! Awesome! If you do plants use terrocota pots, they'll still mess them up but At least you have some control.. It's going to be a nice tank in 5 months. Mars aqua huh? Got one over my sw tank, they're very powerful. Dimmable too.. interested to see what the blue channel does for eba, probably epic...

Mars aqua huh? Got one over my sw tank, they're very powerful. Dimmable too.. interested to see what the blue channel does for eba, probably epic...

My thoughts exactly..
I have looked over and over again and the light industry misses us...They make lights for people who reef right to reef and never make a light for freshies?
I run 2 of 165w Mars over my 75 marine tank for now...:popcorn:
Blue is BAD in FW IMO..
I have been running current truelumen pros 'fusion' LEDs for years and the blue on full light cycle encourages BBA or Cyano eventually IMO.
Makes fish colors POP though..

Thanks all, I found two strawberry planters in the back. Thinking of cool ways to leave a few holes open for swim through and plant top and top side holes with plants. I'll definitely do pots maybe hidden in rock or wood work, still plenty of fun to be had for sure

Yeah I got the idea for the Mars from you should have given you props, lol. I should make you godfather of my tank. Figured I try them and I'd have good enough lights to try saltwater one day if I ever wanted to.

They're cheap enough.. they make my clowns look awesome so... hit me up if you want/need some spiffy yet affordable suspension options. You seem like metal guy?? Exposed everything, industrial like. I'd like to get some antique dentist lamps and retro fit aquarium lighting in there.. blah blah blah I'm shutting up

Possibly, might just do some clean arm mounts with painted black pvc. Since it's in the living room probably gunna get the wife to sign off on final design.

Back
Top Bottom