Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bubbles

Do bubbles contribute to the health of a tank? I have read that the air gets harmful gases out of the water... true? Does it help in terms of water clarity? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep a bubble wall cause my cichlids love playing in it. Other than that I don't think they really do anything either way. But thats only what I've read.

180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An air pump and air stone/wand can help with the diffusion of gases (mainly oxygen / CO2) between the water and the air.

It's more valuable to have one in a tank that does not have a lot of "open air circulation" (a hang-on-back filter that causes a waterfall is "open air circulation") and does not have much in the way of live plants - because if the water is not sufficiently agitated, the O2 levels in the water can deplete and cause your fish to have trouble breathing.

If your fish seem to be doing fine and aren't gasping for air, an airstone is not particularly necessary.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I figured as much. I have plenty of surface agitation so I guess its not necessary unless I want the look.

Tags
bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com