bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do bubbles contribute to the health of a tank? I have read that the air gets harmful gases out of the water... true? Does it help in terms of water clarity? Thanks.

I keep a bubble wall cause my cichlids love playing in it. Other than that I don't think they really do anything either way. But thats only what I've read.

An air pump and air stone/wand can help with the diffusion of gases (mainly oxygen / CO2) between the water and the air.

It's more valuable to have one in a tank that does not have a lot of "open air circulation" (a hang-on-back filter that causes a waterfall is "open air circulation") and does not have much in the way of live plants - because if the water is not sufficiently agitated, the O2 levels in the water can deplete and cause your fish to have trouble breathing.

If your fish seem to be doing fine and aren't gasping for air, an airstone is not particularly necessary.

Thanks. I figured as much. I have plenty of surface agitation so I guess its not necessary unless I want the look.

Back
Top Bottom