Buffering the pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pH is now 7.8, whereas two weeks ago it was 8.0-8.2. Is this an ok pH for my Africans, or should it be higher? I should mention I just did a 20% PWC, so could that have effected it? Is there something I can buy that will keep it stable around 8.2-8.5?

What kind of buffering material is in your tank? Crushed coral? If your source water is lower in pH than your tank water it's normal for it to be lower for the first 24 hours or so, then it should buffer back up.

Baking soda will raise/buffer the pH to 8.2 max. You can use more to raise the KH, but the pH won't go any higher. I use 1 Tbsp/5 gallons when I do partials on my African tanks.

7.8 is just fine, assuming it stays steady. Mucking with the pH is one of the best ways to cause all kinds of problems for your tank and fish.

I'd check it daily to make sure it isn't varying too much; if it's steady, leave it be. The old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Having a steady pH is much more important than having the "perfect" one.

If the water is very soft it likely has very little (if any) buffering capacity. W/out something to buffer the pH, it will drop due to biological activity in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom