Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bully

I have a group of about 10 Malawi cichlids and 1 of the peacocks keeps harassing only one fish! What can I do it seems like he only does it when I have my light on during the night. Any suggestions??

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #2

POTM Champion

how large is your setup? overstocking can diminish the amount of aggressiveness in a setup, if there are more in there chances are a single fish will not be picked on all of the time. can be 2 males seeking dominance in there as well . i have 40 +/- in a 55 gallon you get the occasional spat but it is not too bad.
good luck

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I never had Malawi cichlids before but I've read on numerous occasions that you can remedy bullying by rearranging your ornaments and/or rocks so that it can break up established territories and create breaks in the line of sight. Or if your tank is quite barren, and if you have the room, try adding in some more decor (i.e. Rocks, caves, plants, etc.) to give them peace from one another. Some have even gone as far as to take the bully out and put him in a bucket for a "time-out" session. As strange as that sounds, they claimed it worked... LOL
Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #4

I have 8 single varieties and lots of hiding places for them made out of lace rock..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110922_133129.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	52927   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110922_133148.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	52928  

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

I have just began my setup it is a 90gal that includes holey rock that gives them hiding spots. Right now I have about 10 fish and I am looking to add some more in the future. As funny as it sounds I did take him out and put him on "timeout" lol it did work but it started up again. I have noticed that it is only with the lights on bc the roles reverse when they go out. Thanks for all the input I am going to try to add more rock, plants, and rear arrange the set up. Here is a pic what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2178433341.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	52931  
Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It looks pretty nice. Are you thinking of putting a background? I would (but it's just me) put a dark (perhaps solid black) bg so that the colors pop. How recently did you get the cichlids? Some LFS would be nice enough to take the bully back if he's messing up the tranquility / peacefulness of your community. Maybe trade him in? That's funny that the "time-out" session didn't work... I never tried it myself, but it sounds funny and seems like it might work... haha
Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Thanks it is a work in progress I want to get a background but I am having a hard time finding a background for a 90gal tank I talked to the breeder and he said he would accept a return!!! I am just afraid to add one fish at a time and it get bullied and stressed I just got them last week so i will give it sometime. I think i will have to try timeout again!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1613454659.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	52945  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What type of 'malawi cichlid' is the one being harassed?

Can you post a photo of the 'peacock' and one of the bullied fish?

You may want to increase the number of cichlids you have (add 4+ at a time). You could easily double the current population. In addition to this, add more females that are of the same species as the belligerent fish.

Add more rocks (or objects) that can provide adequate hiding spots.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

alot of cichlids have really bad aggresion towards their own kind or anything that is of the same coloring.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia2185 View Post
...I talked to the breeder and he said he would accept a return!!!
Keep in mind that removing a 'bully' creates a 'dominance vacancy' that may be filled by one of the remaining fish (there will always be an alpha fish in a Lake Malawi set up). The new 'alpha' may sometimes exhibit similar behavior as the previous alpha (sometimes worse, which is kind of interesting).

However there are times when a particular bully isn't the alpha fish so removing it may be a solution if it has to come to that.

Tags
bully

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com