Bumble Bee Ciclid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYDiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I came home to find my once vibrant bumble bee almost all black. I think the electric blue has been messing with him so I'm separating them. Anyone heard of this or had it happen?? He's a pretty cool fish and I'd hate to lose him. Thanks in advance.. Tim

Hi guys,
I came home to find my once vibrant bumble bee almost all black. I think the electric blue has been messing with him so I'm separating them. Anyone heard of this or had it happen?? He's a pretty cool fish and I'd hate to lose him. Thanks in advance.. Tim

Bumblebee cichlids are known for their ability to change colors.

What size of a tank do you have?

Having an electric blue (assuming it's a johanni and not a maingano) in a 4ft tank or smaller could be bad considering they are both some of the most aggressive species of mbuna.

75 gallon... I'm getting a new house so setting up my
125 right now isn't an option. They've been living together since they were guppies. My tiger oscar is huge and doesn't bother anyone. They used to live really well together. I don't think putting them with my flowerhorn is
An option either.. he lives well with the tire tracks though

Most cichlids can change color by mood. Turning dark is what happens when a weaker, usually male, is being bullied. Only ways I know to fix the problem are:
-Separate the stronger or weaker fish (easier said than done)
-revamp your aquascape (more hiding spots / break up line of sight)
-add more Mbuna cichlids to spread the aggression.
I hope it's just agression.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom