Bumblebee cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any experience with these? I've read different things about them, i was considering putting one in my 75 gallon with my yellow labs, red zebras, mainganos and pleco. Would it be too aggressive?

I had one about 10 years ago, never got one since..lol. was too aggresive imo. But someone else may be able to chime in for you with more experience with them!

What other species did you keep it with when you had it? When or if i get one, ill already have 23 other cichlids in the tank. 5 yellow labs, 6 red zebras, 5 white labs, 7 maingano and a large pleco.

This would make a bad addition to your tank in my opinion. BBs are very very aggressive. If you get one....Make it just one. If you tank is happy then add a few more of each that you have already. Maintain a 3 female to 1 male ratio. You have three different types of mbuna...I wouldnt add a 4th

Hmm alright. I guess it's a bad idea then. I have heard of it working before but probably shouldn't risk it. Thanks for the advice! Just wondering tho, what would you keep with a bumblebee then? Since it seems to not get along with any of the common cichlids lol

I have never had BBs...I really dont know since i havent owned one. I just know they have wreaked havoc in a friends tank.

BB's were beastly in my tank!! Scared everyone! Nobody would come out of there hiding places not even to eat!! They were getting bullied and beat up time and time again!! I had to re home them. Once removed from the tank it was total harmony!

Everyone came out and swam and played and ate. It was a different tank. I will NEVER get another BB. That's just my experience though. I had to strip my tank down BIG TIME and try for hours to catch them. Never ever again.

I didn't learn the first time I had one, thought I just got a super aggressive one, couldn't possibly happen again, right?!? WRONG!! I tried it again (cuz I'm just that stubborn) and had to rehome the second one as well. IME, mean mean mean! And since they're so fast I ended up with beat up fish cowering under the filter and behind plants...it was horrible. I'll not own another one.

Lol I have one BB in my tank and he gets along with everyone and I've always seen him getting chased. I've never seen chase or bully any of the others. JME

My bb is one of he biggest in my tanks and one of the most non agressive. All he does is dig and I have him with a bunch of peacock cichlids

wow lots of mixed opinions here! you guys are making it very hard for me to decide :p not sure what to do now!

a.tetreault said:
wow lots of mixed opinions here! you guys are making it very hard for me to decide :p not sure what to do now!

No matter what fish you get, they all have their own personalities.
You can get one and try it. You never know, it might work for ya.

well, if i do decide to get one it will be when all my current fish have grown a bit more, he would be the last addition to the tank. thanks for all the feedback guys!

Back
Top Bottom