Calling all firemouth keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what spectrum the lights are they came with the tank I bought second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You probably have 10K bulbs then if they are the ones that came with the fixture. Which explains the fish looking "bleached out/stressed" and your algae problems.

You probably have 10K bulbs then if they are the ones that came with the fixture. Which explains the fish looking "bleached out/stressed" and your algae problems.

Ok thanks. It's all gonna be sorted at weekend. Poor fish all this time.

Look for some 5000k-6500k bulbs with lower wattage, that's considered full spectrum daylight. You'll likely only need one since you don't have any plants on the bottom.

I'm going have to disagree with the black sand and iridescence to an extent. Genetics also plays a big role in this as well. I get tons of iridescence on natural colored sand even in breeding dress. I think it has to do allot with the intensity and spectrum of the lighting as well.

Breeding dress:
View attachment 250217

Normal:
View attachment 250218

Iridescence do show allot in natural sand but I think they do pop more with the black sand and some of the other colors are more subdued. That being said i do prefer the look of Fire Mouth on the natural color sand you tend to see a more over all spectrum of color on them.

Genetics does play a part but those were the same fish in 1,4 and5 pic 2 and 3 were the parents. I found sand makes the a huge difference with these. breeding dress does play a big part to.

So far I've changed the lighting and the background. They are a bit more adventurous now. Especially when I'm not there and I can peak round the corner to have a look.

Next job (when I can find some) is to get some darker, earthy coloured substrate and some floating plants. Probably frogbit or something.

So far so good.

Figured I'd recommend my favorite substrate, red flint gravel. Not overly light or dark, has a nice mixture of various shades of tans, reds, and browns..... here it is in my 125g

1411631522702.jpg

1411631551485.jpg

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks quite well. I'm after something like that but without the lighter parts. I live in the UK. We kinda get the short end of the stick in terms if selection in most areas of this hobby and the right colour is proving difficult to find.

Thanks for sharing though. Still on the hunt.

Back
Top Bottom