Calling on the troops.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok here's the scoop troop lol. (Sorry had to)

I wanna do moonlights. I know... I know... I've been posting forever about total darkness etc etc etc. well... A certain YouTube video has inspired me but as most of you know me, if I can't find exactly what I want then its a no go.

Now... The YouTube video the gentlemen uses 3 par38 bulbs from ecoxotic the center one is his moonlight, it's a 150g so the one light in the center looks SICK!! I love how it cast shadows on either side of the tank and the fish are ONLY visible IF they pass through the beam.

I want to accomplish this but, I can't do a Par38, it's was too bright. Now I found something after hour and hours of looking and searching online and calling places. What are your thoughts on this? I have no problem cutting a tiny hole in the center of the canopy or I can use the mounting apparatus it comes with.

Anyway. I'm not looking for really bright light. But I want that "spotlight" effect in the center of the tank. I just tried those lumen stripes and there horrible IMO and bright. Plus I had to re wire it because the transformer wasn't working. (Hope they take it back)

Here's what I found.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...e_Code=PA&Product_Code=FI-LA04&Category_Code=

Looks like you found your light bro. I think it will work great. When you cut the hole in the lid, start small and then increase the size until you get the desired effect.

Looks like you found your light bro. I think it will work great. When you cut the hole in the lid, start small and then increase the size until you get the desired effect.

Thanks bro the tip, I'm thinking I found it also but I like to come here first and see what others think. I want a very dim light and I don't want the entire tank lit up. Just a spotlight effect. This all I've found so far. Since its only 4 watts and made for nano tanks I'm thinking it will give me the perfect effect on a 75 gallon.

I agree. I have the Aqueon modular led on my 110 and since the tank is tall, the moonlight doesn't really hit the very bottom of the tank very well. I think it adds to the effect that its natural moonlight.

Attachments

• image-2626781839.jpg
    image-2626781839.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 110
I agree. I have the Aqueon modular led on my 110 and since the tank is tall, the moonlight doesn't really hit the very bottom of the tank very well. I think it adds to the effect that its natural moonlight.

SEE!!! That's what I want, only more of a spotlight effect but dim like that. It looks so natural. Do u leave them on all night?

SEE!!! That's what I want, only more of a spotlight effect but dim like that. It looks so natural. Do u leave them on all night?

No.....lights out at bed time. I taped off the two outer most blue LEDs and bam, moonlight. I can mix it up into many variations to highlight different sections of the tank.

Mine are ridiculously bright in my 72" Aquaticlife fixture, so much that I never even bother with them.

Attachments

• image-3790823020.jpg
    image-3790823020.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 102
Mine are ridiculously bright in my 72" Aquaticlife fixture, so much that I never even bother with them.

WOW!! So you don't use your moonlights I take it? You have to have some information or opinion on them and you know me.... I'd love to hear it!!

WOW!! So you don't use your moonlights I take it? You have to have some information or opinion on them and you know me.... I'd love to hear it!!

With all the aggressive fish I have I figure its good to give them a rest, let them relax and let the plecs forage without interruption. So no I don't ever use them, even if they were not as bright I still wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
With all the aggressive fish I have I figure its good to give them a rest, let them relax and let the plecs forage without interruption. So no I don't ever use them, even if they were not as bright I still wouldn't bother.

Gotcha thanks bro, you just saved me more money! With all my aggression your right better off they have a break and my pleco and syno can come out.

Thanks again.

I know what ya said HUKIT but I still had those True Lumen strip. So I placed it on the left side and put black electrical tape over 2 of the light.

image-3183931565.jpg

image-2036626133.jpg

I've actually turned them off as I can't bring myself to use them. It's a OCD thing.

I know what ya said HUKIT but I still had those True Lumen strip. So I placed it on the left side and put black electrical tape over 2 of the light.

I've actually turned them off as I can't bring myself to use them. It's a OCD thing.

I still think its a pretty cool effect. ;)>

Haha yeah mine are off. Not sure what I'm gonna do. I don't like the moonlights the fixture comes with. It looks too unnatural. That's why I did this little mod type thing. I taped up all but 1 LED, l miss wrote before. I said 2, but really it comes with 4 and only using 1.

This effect gives a more natural look IMO like the moon is shining through from the corner, I like it and I don't lol.

The only reason you don't want to use the par38 bulbs is because they are to bright? Or not bright enough?

The sell par38 it's the biggest brightest bulb. They sell smaller size par lights

The only reason you don't want to use the par38 bulbs is because they are to bright? Or not bright enough?

The sell par38 it's the biggest brightest bulb. They sell smaller size par lights

Too bright, the light I have now for the moonlights I just have to get use to. It's an OCD thing. I'm use to it without moonlights and just not about it.

Not a big deal really. Now the Par38's if I went that route is get 3 and change my whole lighting.

Back
Top Bottom