Can a female be the dominant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtwin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank with a female Kenyi and other cichlids. The female appears to be the dominant bully in the tank? Is this possible? I have several males in the tank with it.

Attachments

• image-3542823939.jpg
    image-3542823939.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 113
  • image-594409359.jpg
    image-594409359.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
wow you have a very colorful female. did you vent the fish to make sure its a female, sometimes male kenyis will be the female color when there bot dominant, but yours is dominant so idk. males are yellow, and yours has yelliw on it. i bet that a female could be the bully.

male kenyis start out as juvies as the blue female colors, and as they age they change to yellow, you may have a male changing to his adult colors.

Yeah, it might be, I have a smaller one who is definitely yellow. I'm confused on which is male and female. The bigger blue is the most dominate, and the yellow is always getting along with everyone else in the tank. The tank mates I have are, 2 Kenyi (one Blue, one Yellow)... 1 Auratus (the mellowest of the group)... 3 Yellow Labs (mellow, and some times aggressive towards each other)... 1 Red Zebra (believed to be male, gentle).... 1 Jacob peacock (pretty sure a female, it loves the mabunos, I've heard not to mix peacocks)... Surprisingly it's the blue/yellow on top Kenyi who is the bully.

Attachments

• image-1340149679.jpg
    image-1340149679.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2826110400.jpg
    image-2826110400.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1556759389.jpg
    image-1556759389.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3141789804.jpg
    image-3141789804.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-187095039.jpg
    image-187095039.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-790658861.jpg
    image-790658861.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1672639295.jpg
    image-1672639295.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 100
That's not a metriaclima lombardoi it's a labidochromis sp hongi, and have you vented the fish to determine its sex?

it looks like your dominant fish may be an afra.

What type of cichlid is that little brown guy you have a pic of because when I bought some plants a little mystery cichlid was in the bag

Like Hukit said that is a Hongi not a Kenyi. Even if it were a Kenyi a fish showing yellow would be a emergent male not female. If that Hongi is aggressive chances are its a male but only venting will confirm that.

That little dark brown guy is apparently "Hongi". I got him the same time as my Blue striped/yellow topped Hongi. Thanks for telling me their species name, the people at the pet store sold me them as Kenyi's, and after looking online they didn't look like them. The Hongi is the match. Will Hongi cichlids get along with Yellow Labs and other mabunos?

I have a little hongi he's the about the same size as yours and he gets together fine with my yellow lab:)

Here are my yellow lab kongi and my cherry red

Attachments

• image-2592899451.jpg
    image-2592899451.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 63
I dont know about africans but my male freddy was always the submissive until one day he went crazy and tried to breed with her, he killed her before I could do anything. She ruled the tank before that happened.

Jtwin64 said:
Loving the sponge bob and Garry background, haha

Lol thanks if you are wondering why the sand is dirty it's because I changed from gravel to sand and the dirt settled on the sand.

Ryleyman said:
Lol thanks if you are wondering why the sand is dirty it's because I changed from gravel to sand and the dirt settled on the sand.

Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to sand, was it expensive and a pain to switch?

Jtwin64 said:
Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to sand, was it expensive and a pain to switch?

It costed $24 for a 20 pound bag of sand for my 10 gallon but you really only need a 10 pound bag but I'm going to be planting my tank up in the summer when I get my job at a pet store near me do I get discounts on fish so excited =D

Ryleyman said:
It costed $24 for a 20 pound bag of sand for my 10 gallon but you really only need a 10 pound bag but I'm going to be planting my tank up in the summer when I get my job at a pet store near me do I get discounts on fish so excited =D

Instead of buying plants or more fish, the appropriate size tank is in order.

Mogurako said:
Like Hukit said that is a Hongi not a Kenyi. Even if it were a Kenyi a fish showing yellow would be a emergent male not female. If that Hongi is aggressive chances are its a male but only venting will confirm that.

You guys beat me to it. I was goin nuts as I'm reading Kenyi.

Back
Top Bottom