Can anyone help me identify my new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently went by petsmart to pick up a new t5 light set up. While I was there I saw this guy labled as a an assorted cichlid. However, he looks a lot like a flowerhorn. My large dempsey has adopted him apartently and even brings him crickets. Kind of weird...running a 180 gallon with a jebo 838, uv filter, power head, 2x300 watt heaters and 2 aquatop ifs30 internal filters, couple bubble bars as well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394604221126.jpg
    1394604221126.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 199
Oh by the way he was only 5.00 because the guy there said "I could care less bro"

Thanks! I thought his patterns looked like a FH and eventually he is going to get his own set up... Glad I grabbed him.

I thought it might be a jewel as well but the markings match a lot of young FH I have been able to find. He also doesn't have the two spots a lot of them have...

Okay so now maybe you fine folks can help me with this. My local petco has an adoption tank...basically you can leave a fish there and they are free to take. I got what I thought was dempsey...He has taken a liking to my new FH but his colors have changed. He was in the adoption tank but now I want to know if he is a dempsey...sorry for the bad pics. He has gotten more red on his stomach, less blue and lighter all around.

Attachments

• 1394646536012.jpg
    1394646536012.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 1394646552857.jpg
    1394646552857.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 1394646613160.jpg
    1394646613160.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 176
In all honestly when I first got him he was a lot darker and hand more blue. Like I said he has seems to be protecting and adopting the small FH and I have noticed his colors changing... I guess two FH for $5.00 is a pretty sweet deal but I also need to do a new set up. Can I put put two FH together in a large enough tank if they are getting along?

Flowerhorns are a man-made hybrid, whose roots are shrouded in mystery. No one knows the specific species used to create them. Because of this, there is a lot of variation between individuals and many different color morphs. Personally, I'm the wrong person to ask because I think flowerhorns are a waste of any tank space, and would take any naturally occurring species over a hybrid

None taken...i never planned or sought them out. I am trying to either find them a new home or do a whole new set up for them. I was planning on trying to breed discus and blue rams with my new tank. Just want them to be in good enviroment.

Yeah that's a flowerhorn. It has the characteristic colors and the black dot on the side if it's forehead. They get really big and REALLY pretty what size tank were u gonna put him in?

Back
Top Bottom