Can anyone ID these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a Golden Ram which is an aquarium bred xanthistic variety of microgeophagus RAMirezi. The regular ones are called German or blue rams.

I just saw a bunch of Golden rams at a LFS and I must say, that looks like what you have--very pretty fish!

i have a german ram, looks like 'em!
another vote for german ram

German "blue" Ram and it looks kinda stressed out (first pic). Gold rams don't have blue on their hind quarters. I don't believe that is a female but I'd have to see it in person to know for sure. The back half of the dorsal fin represents more of the male shape. Also the pectoral fins are extended more like is in common in males. The front two rays of the dorsal fin are not very visible due to the surroundings and stress of the fish...but unless that is a very, very small gourami a female that size would already have a pinkish/reddish belly.

true, i havent had any/sexed any in real life but from my sites shouldnt it have more of a sharper spines on the front dorsal?

krap101 said:
true, i havent had any/sexed any in real life but from my sites shouldnt it have more of a sharper spines on the front dorsal?

Not always. Only in the "better" specimens but like I mentioned it is difficult to tell just how long those front two spines are due to the stress of the fish and coloration of the surroundings. Females do have slightly raised dorsal spines (front two) in many cases as well. Also another typical female trait is the dark spot on the side with blue specks...but the stress of the fish could be hiding that.

yeah like since ive never had any id never know anything like that. just trying to help :)

Endgame319 said:
Its a gold ram, a color morph of the german ram. Notice how it doesn't have the black markings like a regular german ram?

That happens whenever a blue ram is stressed. Golds (atleast all the ones I have seen) do not have blue hind quarters...they were completely gold (in fact a regular blue ram can appear completely gold from the appropriate angle when they are unhappy).

I would say that it is definitely stressed as I had just added him to a new tank. I have checked out a bunch of pics and none have that large fin on their back. The only ones I have seen like this are the two in my tank. Did any one notice this, or is this a common trait?

Back
Top Bottom