Can giant danios live with lake Malawi cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt it just due to the aggression of cichlids from that lake, especially if mbuna.

Sent from my Z970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also the hardness may be too high for the danios I think.

Sent from my Z970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd bet a dollar they'd be absolutely fine in most any environment.. they're active enough to dish aggression right back if they work as a pack..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Worth a try. My Lfs is selling them for 99 cent. Look beautiful. Thanks HUKIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I put off getting them because there were only three and the other incoming shipments had none. Going tonight to grab some tonight. Should 5 be ok?

Not much will survive Mbunas IMO but following along with thread I would add as many as the tank an you can handle.
The whole notion of a schooling fish "outsmarting" the predator is a numbers game.
Turn the lights out to give them a chance.

No need for any betting...I have 17 mbuna living with 3 zebra danios and a yoyo loach, in a 75 gallon. Can't see giant danios being any different.

My Mbuna don't pay any attention what so ever to the danio's. And the loach is the one that instigates any squabble between him and an mbuna.

Rarely is there any aggresion of any kind in my tank.

As always with mbuna, make sure lots of rock and caves...

Mike

I have 6 giant danio's in with a Malawi peacock and they don't bother each other

I had an African leaf fish eat my pack of 6 giant danios in a week. Did all his work at night. They were big ones too. Around 3-4 inches.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

So after a few months of having them I have come to a conclusion I believe. I started with 5 and lost one last month. Due to somthing else maybe? The fish are fine together it seems and the cichlids like watching them dart from end to end it seems. It also gets the shy guys to come out of the rocks and cruise around. They seem to be great dither fish for the African cichlids. Believe I'm going to bump the school up to about 7-8 total and observe some more.

Back
Top Bottom