Can I get another?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 46, I have 3 Yellow labs, 2 Red Zebras, 1 Blue Zebra, and two bumblebees. Now, the aggression in the tank really isn't that bad. Only when it comes time to feeding do I notice it a lot. Three weeks ago, I bought another yellow lab. He was picked on for a day and a half, then the tank mates accepted him in their "community". I know some might tell me I have highly aggressive fish grouped together (the zebras and bumblebees) but they never really fight too much or anything so it's ok at the moment. On Thursday, I bought this beautiful 2.5" Red Zebra (95% of the fish in my tank are around 2,2.5, or 3 inches.) He was abused immediately. Since then his fins have been greatly torn and he's been scrunched in the corners of the tank trying to hide from the aggressors, which are the bumblebee, and all three zebras. I took him out and put him in a big bowl and am bringing him back to the store later. Now, do you think it could be because maybe they are all males? (I don't know how to sex my cichlids). Is there some cichlid I can get that will most likely be gladly accepted by the tankmates? I am just a little confused since my Yellow Lab was barely even harmed and is now thriving in the tank.

Introducing just one African cichlid in a tank of many is a typical fatality waiting to happen...as you found out. The yellow lab was fortunate enough to hold its own.

The 'trick' to introducing new Africans to an established community is to introduce more than one or combine the one with some 'target' fish like danios. This spreads the aggression around and avoids a single individual getting picked on.

Considering the size tank, you already have too many. These fish grow up to 6" and can get bigger in captivity than they do in the wild...and will demand more room by beating up their neighbors. If I were you, I'd stick with what's in there rather than introducing more.

FYI, most juvenile African Malawi fish (which is what you have) will be female when first purchased or some just starting to change into males. Sex changes depend on the sex ratio in the tank and to some degree, temperature. Typically female to male, but have heard of a couple of rare incidences when a male has turned female. These couple of incidences happened when the entire population was male.

For the most part, as they mature, the males egg spots will become more profound, where females either have small minute spots or none at all. Yellow labs, females lack the black bars on their bottom fins. Kenyi zebras, females are blue. Males turn yellow. Many true mbuna zebras will also have dimorphic differences. Check for details according to the species.

Thank you very much TCT for that very informative post. I understand I was nearing my limit in my stocklist, which is why I asked :). I am going to try and sex my cichlids tonight based on the info you have given me. Once again, thanks.

No problem. Anytime :)

Do keep in mind, sex counts are always tentative with these fish. They are scientific gold mines when it comes to sex changes...lol.

We have 12 cichlids in a 75 gallon tank at work. A couple of them are full grown or at least I'm calling them full grown at nearly 8". I know this sounds crowded but the approach is to intentionally over stock to help reduce aggression. It seems to be working as they do not seem to chase each other nearly as much as they used to.

Based on what I have seen in this tank I would consider trying it. I think you could surely fit more fish in that tank. Worse case is as they grow you may have to start another tank :)

Back
Top Bottom