Can I Get More?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased three new juvenile Firemouth Cichlids last weekend and I'm already in love with them. They range in about 1.5 - 2" right now. I'd like to get more to ensure I get at least one male/female pair. I just don't know if I'm already at my limit right now. What do you think?

Here's what I've got right now in my 75 gallon.

(1) sailfin pleco (about 10-11" - he/she is at 8 years old so I'm thinking it's done growing)
(3) yoyo loaches (about 4" long at about 6 years old)
(2) dojo loaches (about 5" long at about 6 years old)
(10) tiger barbs (all juvies at about 1" - maybe less)
(3) firemouth cichlids (all juvies 1.5 - 2" long)

If more firemouths are out of the question, would it be ok to get another schooling fish to add more life? Maybe a school of sarpae tetras or something similar?

Sounds like your close to being fully stocked considering the size of alot of your fish. You could do a small school of a smaller tetra species tho I'm not sure how your fm's will be around them as they mature.
A 5" f.m. would probably consider a neon or cardinal tetra lunch.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll leave my tank as it is for now and hope that I get a good pairing out of the trio. :)

At about 8 years of age, I think that my Sailfin Pleco is full grown. It has plenty of space in my 75. I did read up on them once I got an accurate name for it (the pet store had it labeled as something different so I wasn't expecting it to get as big). From what I read, a 75 gallon is the minimum that it should be housed in. If I had the room, I would've gotten a larger tank, but my space was cramped as it was with the 75. It started out in my 46 gallon, but it quickly outgrew it so I bought a 75 gallon for home and brought it home. It's thrived here.

Back
Top Bottom