Can I Have Tiger Barbs with an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok well is there any tankmate acceptable with the tiger O the water bills not the issue here we have enough money it's just room in our house at this point. But here's another list if pike cichlid won't work could I have any of these with the O,

3 clown loaches
3 silver dollars
1 bichir and a Raphael catfish
1 sailfin Pleco
6 giant danios
1 severum and 1 bichir.
1 trinidad Pleco and 1 bichir.

I really want something with the Oscar I was going to get a 125 but I was forced to go down to 75 by my parents so I reay want to put at least 1 other thing with the O

I really don't think having a tankmate with a oscar in a 75g is a problem at all. There are loads of mid sized new world cichlids that would fit the bill. I would personally look at the archocentrus and cryptoheros genus of fish. They stay around 4-5", have the disposition to handle a full sized oscar, and certainly won't have a huge impact on bioload, let's face it with a Oscar your going to have to change a minimum of 50% weekly as it is.

Well can you tell me if anything from my above list would work

Well can you tell me if anything from my above list would work

The clown loaches would probably work for awhile. At full size, they really should be in a 6 foot tank, but it takes years and years to get them that large.

Silver Dollars would work, but they are schooling fish and they do get very large. At some point the school will outgrow the tank.

Forget the large plecos. Besides getting too large for the tank, they are going to have a huge impact on your water quality. You would probably need to do twice a week 50% changes to even keep up.

I've never owned most of the other fish you mentioned, but I don't think the Bichir's would do very well with an Oscar. I'll let someone more knowledgeable in that area clarify further.

Bichirs do great with a lot of cichlids, they don't look like food, grow large, and are very very hardy. The only problem with it being the "second" fish will be getting food to it. Oscars are absolute pigs and more times then not will eat up food your trying to get to the bichir.

What I have done in the past to feed my bottom dwelling fish is buy a cheap 24" clear price of plastic pipe, put the bottom at their caves and drop food in the pipe to sink to the fish.

Ok thanks I will be choosing between a bichir and a sveni pike cichlid

Actually is a green sunfish abd Oscar compatible in a 75 gallon?

I don't really like bluegill as an option either. They aren't that pretty to look at IMO, but maybe it's just because I've seen so many.

A green sunny could work, maybe pumpkinseed, or possibly a longear (I have one in my 125 community). Longear sunfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please note that these fish can get just as aggressive as their ca/sa counterparts so you could still have squabbles between them even without a potential mating pair.

They will also impact water quality just like any other medium/large bodied fish so keeping nitrates at bay is essential. A planted tank works great for the sunfish, but i've not heard many good reports with mixing oscars and plants. Still might be possible though, I have no clue.

Last edited:
I didn't want a bluegill anyway I wanted a greens sunfish but I don't know what to get yet im kind of getting mad that I don't know what to put with my Oscar . But I will have to choose soon I guess right now im thinking either a dwarf pike cichlid, green sunfish, bichir or sone other type of cichlid.

josh7 said:
One more question is a needlenose gar a possibility

You'll need to clarify the species you are looking at. Needlenose gar is a vague common name that could mean a number of medium to extra large fish.

I wouldn't recommend any of them for a number of reasons, but some would not work at all.

Back
Top Bottom