Can I keep 'em ALL? PLEASE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
A bunch o' babies swimming around in my tank. Apistogramma baenschi "inka" babies, to be exact, 20-ish. Wondering what I'll do with them when they're all grown up...

And I'm thinking that it would be really cool to get a great big tank and keep 'em ALL. :brows: But I am guessing that would be carnage, given the aggressive nature of these fish? This is my first time keeping apistos, and I've only ever read stuff about keeping baenschi in pairs (preferable) or possibly harems (although some sources say that baenschi do better in pairs), but certainly not more than one male. Is this true? Can they not be kept in groups? Ever? Even with a really big tank? I would love to have a whole bunch of these silly little things in one big ol' tank....

If keeping a huge group would not be possible, what might be a set up that could work? How many of these could I keep? Obviously, I would add a second tank, and much larger than the one I have now. Possibly do some sort of community with other species? Right now, I just have a small (17 g) tank with an apisto couple + their 2 week old fry. Anyone have any ideas for me for when these guys are all grown up? I'm all ears!!

thats a dangerous game to play. their babies have babies that have babies.... lol

:D Yikes, you are probably right. Especially if they are anything like the parents (babies born 3 weeks ago and I caught them doing their little dance o' Love AGAIN yesterday).

they are all beautiful, but u wont appreciate them to thier full potential unless u only keep a few and love the individuals :) xxx

First off... congrats! :D

The adult pair will most likely (even in a larger tank) turn on the older brood as they prepare to spawn again. You can always raise the babies in a small growout tank and trade them in for store credit or sell them.

Back
Top Bottom