Can i mix them into a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a community tank with gouramis tiger barbs an iridescent shark a pleco n some platys i was just curious if cichlids would be too aggressive?

It depends on the size of your tank, the aquascaping and the type of cichlid. Your tiger barbs and I. Shark could co-exist with a several varieties of New World cichlids like Fire mouth or Bolivian rams. maybe even Africans, Yellow tail Acei, red fin borleyi or Yellow labs. Your platy and gouromi might not fare too well. My tanks are mixed bags of New worlds, Africans, tetras,
Rainbow fish, Plecos and Synodontis catfish. Research and learn about your favorite fish, if you think it will work, go for it. Take note, your I.Shark will grow fast and large. Plan ahead about possible re-homing.

There are thousands of different species of cichlids which all have different compatibility requirements.

Did you have anything specific in mind? Also, how big is the tank?

In general, African rift lakes cichlids would be a poor match for your community but there are quite a few new world cichlids that would work.

In a 75g tank with your existing fish there are some peaceful SA cichlids that I would consider.

• Cleithracara maronii(Keyhole cichlids)
  • Mikrogeophagus altispinosus(Bolivian ram)

There are some other cichlids that often make good community cichlids. My biggest hesitation with this group is that they may cause problems with your gouramis. You definitely would not want a pair of most of the below. If you do decide to try them I would recommend a single fish only.

• Mesonauta sp.(Festivum)
  • Heros sp. (Severum)
  • Andinoacara pulcher (Blue acara)
  • Guianacara sp(Bandit acaras)
  • Thorichthys meeki(Firemouth)

Personally, if I was in your situation I would do a pair of keyholes or a group of bolivian rams.

I wouldn't do a firemouth at all though they are crazy as hell. Aggression 0 to 100 real quick

I'm sure you know your Iridescent Shark will need a bigger tank. Keep that in mind as well.

I wish they'd stop selling them in the pet trade. Few people can house a 3' fish.

Got a pair of firemouths in my 65 gal.along with a school of Columbian tetras and Austrailian rainbow fish. Yeah they are real beasts.

The one I had was nice at first, then he just started going in on my mollies. Lol my tank was probably to small though I had a thirty gallon

I agree with V227. I have T-barbs, bloodfins, tetras, assorted other barbs mixed in with an Acei, a yellow lab, a blue dwarf cichlid I can never spell right, a red tail shark and a firemouth. They usually play nice. Agree with other folk to keep only one firemouth.

Back
Top Bottom