Can i put a filter on the side of my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid city

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The back of my Fishtank is really close to the wall so I cannot fit my filter on the back of it so I put it on the side can this cause any problems? I have a large air stone on the opposite side of the filter so water is being moved throughout the whole tank. I'm new so any advice will help thank you!!

I've seen filters on each side of a 75 gallon. It's kinda an eye sore IMO but... Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. He had the same issue. He had no room as he pushed the tank right up against the wall. He ended up with 2 AC70's

Thanks for your post!!:) but I got a pelican 200 biowheel on one side and a large air stone with a 60 gallon pump on the other side will I be fine? And btw my tank is 55 gallons I'm pretty sure lol

Thanks for your post!!:) but I got a pelican 200 biowheel on one side and a large air stone with a 60 gallon pump on the other side will I be fine? And btw my tank is 55 gallons I'm pretty sure lol

If it fits I don't see why it can't work. If that's the room you have to work with then like I said... Ya gotta improvise.

Yea I really wanted a tank so I'm working with what I got I just went to the pet store today and my water was perfect so all I need is a heater then I can buy some fish. Do you know where I can get any rocks for them?

Yea I really wanted a tank so I'm working with what I got I just went to the pet store today and my water was perfect so all I need is a heater then I can buy some fish. Do you know where I can get any rocks for them?

Sure do!! You have any rivers, lakes, streams wooded areas near you. I found a bunch of rocks for my tanks in those places.

You can get rocks from
Around the house
Where they are building houses and buildings
Hardware or landscaping stores
Places convict suggested
They also sell cichlid stones that can be found online by doing.g a shopping Google search or by going to.doctorfoster web site

Yea I don't feel like buying rocks cause I already spent enough on my tank. I just Want to be sure that it won't mess with my water so when I put fish in they won't die.

Just clean them really well, no soap tho. I just use hot water and scrub them down.

if your worried about filtration and you dont have room for it on back of the tank and dont want it on the side, look into aquatop cf series canister filters you could pick one up with uv for like 89-129 bucks not bad and really nice filters i got the cf500uv its great

Lol!!! It seems like everyone got their rocks from a stores parking lot!!! Hahahaha but do you guys think I should buy some fish from my local petsmart?

Yea that's what I was thinking but what would e the ideal temperature for the cichlids? Cause I bought a heater and I currently have it set at 76 degrees farenheit

I've gotten all my cichlids either from the PETsMART closest to me(about 10 minutes away) or the one I work at(about 30 minutes away). All were healthy and are happy, growing and doing great in my tank. Definitely make sure that the tanks look clean and fish look healthy because unfortunately not all PETsMART employees take care of the tanks as well as me and others but there are some good ones out there.
I keep my cichlid tank at 78 but 76 is fine. More important to not have any big changes in the temperature. Stability is more important than the actual temp.

I've gotten all my cichlids either from the PETsMART closest to me(about 10 minutes away) or the one I work at(about 30 minutes away). All were healthy and are happy, growing and doing great in my tank. Definitely make sure that the tanks look clean and fish look healthy because unfortunately not all PETsMART employees take care of the tanks as well as me and others but there are some good ones out there.
I keep my cichlid tank at 78 but 76 is fine. More important to not have any big changes in the temperature. Stability is more important than the actual temp.

Stability is deffiantly important. I keep mine at 80 buy when I put a new heater in the dial got messed up and heated it to 93! I didn't lose a single fish cause of it either

Back
Top Bottom