Can i put a jackdempsey with my assorted cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is the tank most cichlids get along because my jack Dempsey does (just kills guppys)

the 55 would be good for a JD on its own
tbh, unless it is an aged JD it would be too aggressive
the cichlids you have atm are very aggressive (the johanni mostly) and would not only pick fights with the JD, but may even kill it
you could do. but it would not be pretty

saying this, i had (like 3 days ago) a RZ and an auratus juvie with 2 oscars. they were never bothered for over 6 weeks. so its luck of the draw. in the oscar tank now are 2 dwarf flag cichlids (Laetacara compressiceps) at 1in each. they dont even get looked at by the oscars and they have quite (worryingly) often swam right up to them to check em out!

so my advice is if you REALLY want that mix, find the most peaceful aged JD around xxx

I have three jack dempsey's in a 75 gal with no problems lots of rocks and plants for the others to hide but the jack's rarely ever chase the others.

I have seen some people use a Jack as the undisputed tank boss. With good results and never in a 55. He would just break up any issues and go back to crusin. Also they keep just one male so no spawning issues.

Im no expert,however i had 5 quarter sized jacks destroy 2 3" oscars,and iv had to pull and return 2 bigger jacks as they just cant get along with others,i guess its a particular personallity that will give you your answer

Im no expert,however i had 5 quarter sized jacks destroy 2 3" oscars,and iv had to pull and return 2 bigger jacks as they just cant get along with others,i guess its a particular personallity that will give you your answer

Ive seen this as well. The trick is putting him alone in a mbuna tank. No female jacks or other male jacks. But you could get a stone cold killer and lose your mbuna.

Agreed,i keep jaguars,and they are much easier going than jd's,and there pretty tough fish

I have also heard of tanks with a large docile Hap that is so much bigger than the mbuna they stay in line. This is theoretical to me, only talked about never witnessed

Here he is:
img_1706594_0_efa38fdf32965f1d77c6ea49ad89c70f.jpg

I had a mated pair of JDs and he ended up killing the female. I would never have a JD with ANY other fish or at all.

Back
Top Bottom