Can my fish plan co-exist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thutton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I have been researching the net and am getting mixed results so I am hoping to get input/experience...

in my 75g tank, can I put a pair of convits with my 2 green severums and 2 green terrors, all 4 of my fish are too young to tell their sex, but I would like a pair of convits as I have always had interest in these fish..

Please help me out.

It can be done.. but a convict pair will terrorize your other fish when they spawn. I've got a pair that just spawned in my 120g and they are constantly biting other fish. The 4" male even bit me a couple times today during the water change.

You will get mixed results here too :D
Depending on the sex of the fish you already have, which you don't know, and their "personalities" (which can change when new fish are added), that tank population may be stable OR it may not be. Given that all these fish can get large and breed like mad, you may be looking at a population explosion. Can you give us a pic of your tank, or tell us about the decor and how long you have had the current fish?
On another note, if you are really interested in convicts, would you want to do a species only tank and ask the LFS if they will take the other fish in trade? I don't advocate swapping out fish, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
One last thought...fish keeping is a life time hobby. There is time for convicts in the future when anther tank is set up or when your current fish are not with you.

Ok as I mentioned before here is a pic of my tanks setup, it isnt actually cloudy it is just the camera.
fish.jpg

I'm not an expert on SA cichlids, but it looks like more hiding areas/territories will be needed.

ok so I will have to wait for my species tank, however this tank is pretty empty with just the 4 fish in it... I love these fish so I am ok with that and did it by choice dont get me wrong...

Would I possibly be able to add a few pictus catfish? I am aware that they are compatible with american cichlids.... but have not heard from anyones experience.. what do you think?

I was going to say the tank will look empty for a long time, but once those fish grow, you will be glad to give them the extra room! I have never dealt with pictus catfish, but I love Synodontis cats with my shellies and my Africans.

I had great interest in those, however the PH in my city is far too low, I have had to add crushed coral to maintain a 5.5

Back
Top Bottom