Can someone help me identify these cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389813455.157818.jpg

I bought these two cichlids under the impression they were acei, but I don't really think that's true. The one always stays bright and almost white (I'm thinking he's a male) and the other one always stays dull and boring (I'm thinking female), when I got them they were both dark and dull, and as they matured the one got prettier. There about 3 or so inches.

They might be a breed of apistogramma but not sure what kind

Since I only have this pair, and have had them for sometime (they haven't had any fry yet), and your supposed to have a 1:3 ratio, should I swap out some fish for 2 more females? Or will he not cause to many problems since he hasn't yet?

Sometimes African can do well with a pair it all depend. How long have you had them approximately and about how big are they?

I've had them for about a year and a half, and there 3 1/2 - 4 inches. I've had them together since they were an inch.

I would think that by that size they are now the female would've been holding eggs. Maybe they're not both the same type? But even if they weren't they still would've likely tried to crossbreed I would think. What size tank is it and what else is in there? Are you looking to add more fish?

There's five Africans in total (electric yellow, Snow White, these 2, and a brand new baby bumblee), one old fat pleco, the rest are convicts. I'm in the process of swapping out the convicts for different Africans. I started out with 18 convicts, and slowly have been able to trade them. It's a 40 gallon long. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390073538.134717.jpg

I'm just wondering why they haven't bred? Is it because there's too many fish in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom