Can someone please ID my new cichlid for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Traded my 5-6inch oscar for this guy the other day. Not the best of trades but didn't want a fish that is as messy and gets as big. It was labeled as a M. Johanni. I think that's what it is but not 100% sure. Also I've been getting some conflicting info on them. What color is a female and male? When do they color up? And last but not least, do I have a male or a female or is it too soon? Its the only decent picture I could get lol. This thing is super active. Also size is prob only 2inch

ForumRunner_20130113_132017.jpg

Does it have a black band at the top? It does kinda look like it, I think mogurako may be right. I couldn't see that till he said something

What do you mean by a black band on top? Do you mean the very tip top?

Yes it does have a very faint black band at the top. So if it does have that black band on top then it is for sure a yellow lab and not a johanni? The lfs I went to had a tank of yellow labs also but like I said this guy come from the M. Johanni tank.

Also, when I had the fish floating in a bag. In a different aquarium while I was cleaning its aquarium it kinda changed color some and got darker and had what looked to be a black colored band on its side too. It ran down the lenth of the body in the center but the band wasn't whole, it was broken into segments. Does this help any or no? Oh and thank you two for the help so far. You guys rock!

Ok, so I do believe its definetely a M. Johanni. I added 2 more, so now I'm at a total of 3 so far. My original dang near turned blue when I put the other two into the tank. But now I do believe that I have 2 males and one female. I tried to pick out 2 females! O well. I guess I just need to get 5 more females lol

Back
Top Bottom