Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartgirl View Post
Mine had a home...he was only one of two rams in 87 gallons (there are other fish, of course). And it was doing the exact same thing. Up at the top, not eating.
I've noticed if they come transhipped to a fish store they don't live long lives. Due to being injected with hormones to really bring out their colors.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #22

It's also a good thing to spend time and bond with your fish so they get to know you better and they do eat! Sit in front of your tank 30 min until you shut off your light that helps a lot!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #23

That's what i did with my red jewel lifalili cichlid and it works great
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I've noticed if they come transhipped to a fish store they don't live long lives. Due to being injected with hormones to really bring out their colors.

I've had this happen to two males now so perhaps this is the case. I've heard they aren't always bred in the best conditions. But, my female is amazing so perhaps she'll be a single lady and hang out with the barbs and gourami like she already does
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I've read some rubbish before but jeez there's a lot going on in this thread!

Firstly to op sorry for your loss

Secondly, Bribo your correct and I can't agree with you more

Thirdly, some posters in this thread need to realise that the ram chichlid is from South America, the Amazonian region. They enjoy plant cover. I have no rocks at all in my tank and my two rams are doing great and spawning frequently. Simply adding rocks will not help

Fourthly, the stocking is crazy bad! Rams need 20g minimum for swimming space as much as anything. By putting in a smaller tank, your increasing the stress levels which can lead to an increase chance of illnesses. Platys are terribly dirty fish and therefore should not be in a 10g also. Especially 4 of them!! I would love to know your ammonia and nitrite levels, I bet they are high!! If you've managed to get a BB colony strong enough to handle that bio load then your nitrates are going to be sky high without very frequent water changes. Nitrates are bad for rams. They are very sensitive.

Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe-Is-Boss View Post
Don't do plants either do lot of rocks and make homes for him you probley have low pH so take out the plants and put A LOT of rock cichlids build the homes you just need to put rocks in there for a home! He/she will love it trust me!
you should really put a touch more thought into your posts, this is about as wrong as it gets...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe-Is-Boss View Post
Sorry he/she died though

Rams are a hard fish to keep. They are extremely sensitive. Also petsmart sucks. Sorry man.

Tags
blue, blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com