Can you help id this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first post. I received some cichlids from a lady that had a 210 gallon tank full of them. Apparently they were breeding like crazy. So I got some for my 50 gallon breeder tank. Could you help me identify their type? Thank you in advance.

edit: *adding video

YouTube - P1010571.AVI

Also, I was wondering if this water movement was too much for these guys. I am using an adjustable 190gph submersible water pump and an airhose to make a current in the tank. They seem to enjoy swimming against it. Is it too strong?

edit 2: added more pictures

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010595.jpg
    P1010595.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 72
So It looks like an mbuna? I just looked up a pic and it does indeed look like that

MysteryMbunaD.jpg

found this pic on google.. it has the same color and striping and the coloring on top of the fin. I wasn't aware it was an african cichlid.. should there be salt in my water?

Africans do not need salt but it's probably not a good idea have them with south/central american cichlids or other community fish other than more mbunas due to the pH they like to live in. And yes that is probably the fish you have lol. Did you Get to look at the site it was on?

Looks like a Zebra, blue with back bars... often called Metriaclima zebra "BB" (for black bars) if you have CA cichlids water parameters are sometimes similar jusyt make sure they don't fight too much. (Until one of the fish is beat up completely)

PS notice how far down the body the barring goes.... the pic you have looks like some sort of "elongatus" but yours are definitely different.

I think they are all Mbunas.. My PH was 7.4 yesterday. Do you think they would prefer a little higher PH or is 7.4 just right? I didn't really get a chance to see the website. Thanks for the replies guys.. appreciate it

edit: I noticed the bars dont seem to come all the way down.. but on one of the fish the bars seem more pronounced. On others more faded.

Are the males the bigger more colorful ones?

Yes males are more colourful. Females are usually duler, but sub dominant males can be dull too. I am not familar with all mbuna types so am not definitive help.

As long as you pH is stable don't worry too much about it. Keep up the pwcs and don't let the pH crash.

First one has more vibrant colors but hes smaller

The second picture is the bigger one (probably around 4"?)

Theres another one in here that seems to have an orange tinged head

Attachments

• P1010599.jpg
    P1010599.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010513.jpg
    P1010513.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 55
On that page it says there is no orange coloration on their head.. I do see some orange on the head of some of these.

"Mbamba is more blue and does not have the orange coloration on its head."

Haven't read past the first post yet, but that looks like an apistogramma to me. could be wrong but that is what it reminds me of.,

Back
Top Bottom