Can you identify this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alec77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398579041.329933.jpg

I've had some trouble with the identity of this guy. Some people say it's a blue ram, some people say it's a blue veiltail ram, and I don't know what to believe?

Can anyone accurately tell me the identity of this fish?

Are you able to tell me how to tell the difference?

The anal fin is more pointy it's male if it's curved it's femail or if there's a shade of pink or it's a male if it looks like it has a big Mohawk

Can some one tell me its id ? Nd is it a male or a female?

Okay, so now that I know this is a blue ram, the thing I'm trying to figure out is, what is the difference between a blue ram, and a blue veiltail ram?

The only difference between a GBR and a GBR veil tail is the tail. Your going to have to wait to see if it grows out. As far as gender I'd say it's a male, and a stressed out one at that.

Okay, thanks very much. Just checking as I brought it under the name veiltail and now that I have checked it is a lot more expensive than the price of a blue ram and what I've got look like blue rams. But I guess it's just a wait and see thing:)

So as it grows the tail will grow out quite large?

It's not just the tail it will be all fins, veiltail is just another trade name for the long finned variety

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom