Can you keep two male jack dempseys together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommounseen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Basically I got given a two year old male Jack Dempsey. But I have had to keep him in his own tank separately because he would wipe out the community in my other tank. I have bought a baby male Jack Dempsey and put him the tank with my community fish until he gets a bit bigger then I'm hoping to move him in the tank with the older Jack Dempsey but I'm worried he will kill the younger one. I would just like some advice on the best thing to do with them? Another thing i need advice on is that i have a green severum who is also quite young and was just wondering when he gets bigger can he go in with the Jack Dempsey ?

The small one is in a 180 litre tank with 12 other fish. They are only black phantom tetra's a silver dollar 2 cat fish and the severum and the large Dempsey is in a 250 litre tank. There are plenty of territories in the big tank as well.

I wouldn't recommend it but it really depends on the fish I've done it b4 where it's been successful and done it where the bigger male ended up killing the smaller male... If there's plenty of hiding spots I'd say you could get away with it for a while...

IME jacks tend to get meaner as they get older. If its already accustomed to being alone it may not ever accept any tank mates. Big risk if you ask me.

I wouldn't advise keeping two males together. The Green Severum could work when it gets similar size but all depends on how aggressive the JD is.

Not sure if I agree they get aggressive as they get older, think they are either aggressive or they or not. I have a juvenile and already he chases my Green Terror around the tank.

Yea I have a jd with my green terror as well, they are the same size and the jd pays n mind to him what so ever. How ever they are only 1 1/2 inches so we'll see as time goes on

Back
Top Bottom