Can you mix cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can you mix new world and African cichlids? I have never had a cichlid tank before.

Can you mix new world and African cichlids? I have never had a cichlid tank before.
So in some cases that is do able but... in all honesty you can't mix most cichlids. This needs to be a lot more specific.

You need to worry about environments (most wildly different), aggression level (some fish species are aggressive, some fish are agressive), and threat display comparability. And of course size.

Honestly the same as any other fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been doing research however their is a ton of info. I can't make heads or tails because I get one place that says one thing and another place that says another contradicting. Then I see results but I can't observe the tank so I don't know if its just someone got lucky. Are their any "definitely don't do that" things I should know.

I have been doing research however their is a ton of info. I can't make heads or tails because I get one place that says one thing and another place that says another contradicting. Then I see results but I can't observe the tank so I don't know if its just someone got lucky. Are their any "definitely don't do that" things I should know.

The best absolute is don't mix African Cichlids with South or Central American Cichlids in the same tank. Even with Africans, you can't mix all the different ones together so you really need to be specific when picking your fish. With fish from the Americas, you will need a larger tank if you want multiple types as these fish generally get large. With many Africans, if you don't put a lot of them together, they get very territorial and beat the crap out of each other. So very contrasting fish families. Some people get lucky and it works but more people don't get lucky and don't tell anyone. ;)

Lastly, to properly keep both types of fish, their water requirements are different so if you were to get wild Africans and Wild American Cichlids, one group would most certainly suffer.

The best absolute is don't mix African Cichlids with South or Central American Cichlids in the same tank. Even with Africans, you can't mix all the different ones together so you really need to be specific when picking your fish. With fish from the Americas, you will need a larger tank if you want multiple types as these fish generally get large. With many Africans, if you don't put a lot of them together, they get very territorial and beat the crap out of each other. So very contrasting fish families. Some people get lucky and it works but more people don't get lucky and don't tell anyone. ;)

Lastly, to properly keep both types of fish, their water requirements are different so if you were to get wild Africans and Wild American Cichlids, one group would most certainly suffer.

Thank you very much for the answer. I guess I will stick with the Africans.
Do you have any advice on stocking options? Looking to stay very colorful. moorii cichlids.

There are combos... But the research should start with liking one ans then searching for tank mates.

Like I enjoy rams. Now many people say rams and kribs can live along okay. But at the same time... rams sometimes can't seem to even live with rams so...

But you are starting too broad.

First, how big a tank will you use? Okay look at fish you like. Then pick one absolute. Now look at tank mates from the cichlid family.

There are combos... But the research should start with liking one ans then searching for tank mates.

Like I enjoy rams. Now many people say rams and kribs can live along okay. But at the same time... rams sometimes can't seem to even live with rams so...

But you are starting too broad.

First, how big a tank will you use? Okay look at fish you like. Then pick one absolute. Now look at tank mates from the cichlid family.

Standard 90 gallon tank. 48x24x18
I adore these little guys Moorii (Kaiser II) Cichlid
Well, would their be other fish that could go with a Cichlid. I know I am still being broad I am just trying to get a general idea.

It's really going to depend more on the decor of your tank because the Tropheus family are aggressive fish and won't share their home well with non aggressive species. How about posting a pic of your setup so we can better advise. (y)

As of now, I do not have anything set up. I had a 55 gallon tank at one point. I gave that one to my father in law. He loves fish just couldn't afford the initial start up. I was able to learn a lot about tank maintenance and some tricks and tips to make a better tank.
I am going to start buying and piecing together my set up at the end of the month. I will definitely post pictures once the spending begins. If the wife doesn't kill me when she sees the first credit card bill.
I am planning a canister filter set up on either a
90 gallon tank 48x24x18
or
120 48x24x24.
White sand bottom,
3D rock background,
and a combination of tree roots and large rocks.

The tank part is actually the biggest part of the hold up. At this time. I have a lead on a 120 for sale. for $200 however its about a 100 miles away. I will not be able to go and check on it until Tuesday. :banghead: It's nice to be able to start all over again.

Well then I would definitely do some research on the family and see what is necessary in order to house more fish than just the Tropheus. (y)

The key is to look up where, the biotope, of the species you are looking to get. In the case of some fish, the area can be full of rock and cover while another can be plants and tree roots. 2 very different scenarios that create very different environments and water conditions.

Two completely different sets of water parameters that aren't compatibile. Plus, water parameters aside, depending on which New World cichlids you choose, some get quite a bit bigger and are more aggressive/territorial

Two completely different sets of water parameters that aren't compatibile. Plus, water parameters aside, depending on which New World cichlids you choose, some get quite a bit bigger and are more aggressive/territorial

OP Stated they were interested in Africans, specifically trophies of lake tanganyika. Let's move on from talking about new world species please

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One of my wife' friends was moving a couple weeks ago and needed somebody to adopt a 4" African, so we took him in - to our tank with an Oscar, a JackD, 2 Convicts, 2 Firemouths (new, very small) and 2 Apistos. Everyone seems to be doing fine and getting along well. The Oscar does try to sneak up on the little ones to eat them every so often, but they are too smart and quick for him! There's a bit of chasing back and forth, but most of that is between the 2 convicts who were born and raised together - nothing terribly aggressive or dangerous as far as I can tell.

No problem mixing this particular batch of cichlids, here. So far. I believe the most important factor is they have enough space. I'm sure somebody has tried something similar in a tank half the size of my 190gal, with different results.

One of my wife' friends was moving a couple weeks ago and needed somebody to adopt a 4" African, so we took him in - to our tank with an Oscar, a JackD, 2 Convicts, 2 Firemouths (new, very small) and 2 Apistos. Everyone seems to be doing fine and getting along well. The Oscar does try to sneak up on the little ones to eat them every so often, but they are too smart and quick for him! There's a bit of chasing back and forth, but most of that is between the 2 convicts who were born and raised together - nothing terribly aggressive or dangerous as far as I can tell.

No problem mixing this particular batch of cichlids, here. So far. I believe the most important factor is they have enough space. I'm sure somebody has tried something similar in a tank half the size of my 190gal, with different results.
I refer you back to post #4 of this thread. :whistle:;)

Report back on this in a few months;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can tell people not to mix cichlids for all sorts of environmentally and zoologically sound reasons, but the fact is, despite how hard we try, we are keeping aquariums, not natural habitat. The parameters and comfort zones will vary, regardless of targeted conditions and skills applied in achieving them. It can be done, and done well.
Report back on this in a few months;)
Will do. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom