can you mix malawi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anikonslr

Aquarium Advice Regular
i curently have mbuna's and was woundering if i can add haps or peacocks to the mix also. since they are all from the same lake i wasn't sure. its a 5 foot 120 gal tank with 15 fish total.

Some will say yes, some will say no. I personally dont for my own reasons.

However It is possible to pull off you just really need to do your research and pick fish with complimentary temperaments and dietary needs.

i have a mix of peacocks and mbunas, and my peacocks are getting bullied. im going to rehome them. your tank is much larger than mine, so it may work for u.

A tank that size you could definately pull it off but more then likely you will be having to get rid of a few "bullies" and keep the most peaceful of the group but I have seen quite a few tanks mixed and very healthy

I have mixed peacock/hap and mbuna without any problem. But I agree it depends on the mbuna that you choose.
My peacocks/hap are firefish, sunshine peacock, Jacobfreibergi, azureus and placidochromis electra.
The mbuna I have are 'less aggressive' ones like yellow lab, hongi, afra cobue and persipcex. I also have a maingano who is starting to show aggression, may move him soon.
They are in 75g with plenty of hiding space.

I guess it's a bit of hit and miss, but be ready to re home if necessary.

i currently have 6 blue johanni, 3 acei, 3 kenni, 3 yellow labs. they dont seem very aggressive right now but they are not very big right now either.

anikonslr said:
i currently have 6 blue johanni, 3 acei, 3 kenni, 3 yellow labs. they dont seem very aggressive right now but they are not very big right now either.

Keep an eye on those Kenyi they are mean little suckers.

Wow would not have guessed that mine dont seem to be mean at all. They get chased around by the johniis, but will definitely keep an closer eye on them.

anikonslr said:
Wow would not have guessed that mine dont seem to be mean at all. They get chased around by the johniis, but will definitely keep an closer eye on them.

Johannis are among the most aggressive of the mbuna so that's really not a surprise but African cichlids for the most part are pretty docile when they are young compared to when they begin to reach sexual maturity which by then they are little monsters lol so just keep an eye on them. Most successful cichlid tanks have been culled of all the aggressive individuals

thank you for all of the advice guys. i guess i have learned that haps and peacocks are a very bad idea with the mix that i currently have. looks like my tank will just stay as a mbuna tank.

anikonslr said:
thank you for all of the advice guys. i guess i have learned that haps and peacocks are a very bad idea with the mix that i currently have. looks like my tank will just stay as a mbuna tank.

There are some Haps who could definitely hang with your Mbuna but the Mbuna may become snacks later on.

i just figured out that the fish that i thought where johanni's are actually Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. i am having a hard time finding out about the temperament. does anyone know? hopefully its not as agressive as the johanni's are.

anikonslr said:
i just figured out that the fish that i thought where johanni's are actually Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. i am having a hard time finding out about the temperament. does anyone know? hopefully its not as agressive as the johanni's are.

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos formerly known as Melanochromis "maingano" are extremely aggressive as well, they don't tolerate other males of their own genius very well and fight allot.

Back
Top Bottom