can you put aquarium salt in with south american cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can my south american cichlids have aquarium salt in the new tank I just got?

I add a little bit in all my tanks. It might not be needed but for me its just a little added measure of protection.

Ich mostly. I used to have problems with ich when I introduced new fish. Ever since I started dosing my tanks with salt I never have problems with Ich. I don't do it all the time just every few water changes I will add a little bit.

I know this is what quarantine tanks are for but with my family size I don't have room for one.

No offense but a minimal amount of salt or even a higher amount for that matter will not prevent Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, you simply have gotten lucky on the last of your fish purchases. Salt alone will not kill the parasite...heat does. Here is a article I wrote for the forum regarding the lifecycle of ich.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ich-ick-white-spot-or-whatever-else-you-call-it/

Last edited:
I doubt its luck because I am going on 5 years of this method. It has seemed to work and it makes sence because salt does kill off Ich. I do 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons recommended to kill off Ich. I just don't do it ever water changes maybe every 3 or 4 WCs.

Salt kills of allot of bad things so if there is no harm why not.

Salt isn't needed. The Seachem "salt" is not sodium and will not increase salinity. It contains trace elements. Again, not needed but some find use for it.

Salt doesn't actually kill, heat does.

I believe salt speeds the life cycle of ich but the heat kills it off. Unless you have super ich where salt and 89-90 degrees doesn't get rid of it, first and only time I've had ich in any of my tanks.

I haven't had a case of ich in at least 20 years, and I don't use salt. The salt myth just keeps going around and around.

I said the same thing in my post, it's luck you have not had another case plain and simple.

The Salt/heat method is proven to kill ich. Why add the salt if heat alone will kill ich? I am sorry I strongly disagree on this one. There are many many expierence people that use this method to kill ich.]

The heat speeds up the life cycle. the salt is what kills. Look at it this way what is salt used for outside of a tank. people used it to preserve meat and kill off bacteria and parasites.

Anyways no use going round and round. It works for me. use it dont use it doesnt matter to me.

The Salt/heat method is proven to kill ich. Why add the salt if heat alone will kill ich? I am sorry I strongly disagree on this one. There are many many expierence people that use this method to kill ich.

The salt causes the parasite to go free swimming which allows the heat to kill it. I absolutely believe in heat/salt for treatment of ich. It does work, but it is not the salt that kills. Adding salt without an accompanying increase in heat will do nothing good.

The Salt/heat method is proven to kill ich. Why add the salt if heat alone will kill ich? I am sorry I strongly disagree on this one. There are many many expierence people that use this method to kill ich.]

The heat speeds up the life cycle. the salt is what kills. Look at it this way what is salt used for outside of a tank. people used it to preserve meat and kill off bacteria and parasites.

Anyways no use going round and round. It works for me. use it dont use it doesnt matter to me.

I'm sorry but your wrong with regards to salt killing the parasite, but your right there is no point going round and round around incorrect information. There is more than enough information currently if you look for it as to what salt does and doesn't do, including killing that particular parasite.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

I doubt its luck because I am going on 5 years of this method. It has seemed to work and it makes sence because salt does kill off Ich. I do 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons recommended to kill off Ich. I just don't do it ever water changes maybe every 3 or 4 WCs.

Salt kills of allot of bad things so if there is no harm why not.

Hello Rivers...

A little standard aquarium salt is fine and if the dosage is minimal, most aquarium fish and plants are fine with it. I've been dosing a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water for several years in my Livebearer and Corydoras tanks and I believe it improves the cleanliness of the tank water and stimulates the fishes' immune system. It also helps the fish cope with higher nitrogen levels if by chance you miss a weekly water change. I started using it when I introduced new fish, because of the calming affect it has on them and later found that most fish pathogens don't tolerate traces of salt in the water.

It's personal preference, but I continue to use it.

B

Back
Top Bottom