canister filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick4286

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any ideas the best canister aquarium filter for a 55 gallon tank? Not looking to break the bank on this but also want to prove good filtration for my finned friends. Looking for a quiet canister with great filtration and water movement. Any ideas? Also are they that much better than the hanging filters?

Fluval 305 at minimum, but for a few dollars more, I'd say go with the 405 (extra media basket compared to the 305).

Quiet (Like DEAD Quiet) powerful, reliable and customizable. You can find some amazing deals on Amazon ... even with shipping you can find it for less than at your LFS.

Welcome to the site :)

For a 55 gallon tank, my vote would be for a Fluval 405 canister filter. I have one on my 46 gallon and it's fantastic. It has 4 trays (8 total compartments) so there's lots of room to run different types of filter media. It's rated for a 100 gallon tank so there's tons of filtration, it's very easy to clean, and the thing runs almost silently. I have to occasionally glance at the output to make sure water is still flowing through it since it's not audible. They also come with the mechanical and bio-media...so there's no additional expenses when purchasing it. I found mine online (after some serious searching) for around $129. The lfs's sell them for up to $240, so it's definitely worth the effort of doing some Internet shopping.

As for HOB's, AquaClear makes some very respectable filters which also are very quiet and provide lots of space for filter media. I've never owned one, but I hear nothing but good things :)

Last edited:
Fluval 405. 'Cheap' and 'high quality canister' cannot go together. The Fluval 405 is a great value, more affordable if you buy it on amazon.

I have to agree with fluval, I run 10 X 305's on my 4ft tanks in the fish room. They do the job well. A 405 would privide extra flow and you would also get better mechanical fitration.

Thanks for the help everyone!! I was looking at the pen-plax cascade 1000 for my 55. Has anyone had any experience with that or heard anything about them? Is the fluval that much better?

I have the 1000 and it work really well I mostly have bio media in it and bio sponges set up was real easy I have had it for 4 months and it keeps my water crystal cleat also it moves allot of water I have nothing bad to say about this filter

I run a really cheap canister off eBay on my 55g cichlid tank. Brand is called sunsun, turns over 2000l/h

Very quiet and so far no problems, had it for a year

Lunchbox209 said:
I have the 1000 and it work really well I mostly have bio media in it and bio sponges set up was real easy I have had it for 4 months and it keeps my water crystal cleat also it moves allot of water I have nothing bad to say about this filter

I bought one in a bind when I had an gasket go on my Rena a while back. Late on a Sunday night not much choice so we ordered the gasket and bought this as a back up. I have several Rena xp3, several fluval 205 ( 2 on a 40 g and one on a 10 g) and a fluval fx5. I STRONGLY suggest the extra few $ on the fluval. Much quieter, better built ( the media baskets on Penn plax are flimsy and more awkward) and the fluval is quieter and easier to disconnect for maintenance. For me, it's a backup now. But worked in a pinch.

Agree to spend a little more on the right canister, go with a Fluval 405.

Back
Top Bottom