Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Rancid.dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a box of carbon with my tank but I have no idea if its any good, does carbon expire?

I got a box of carbon with my tank but I have no idea if its any good, does carbon expire?

Carbon's just carbon, they don't have any recommended use by date that I've ever seen. In all honesty ... it's not worth adding. Most experienced members don't use it at all in their filters. Save it for should you ever need to remove medication from water after treating an illness.

My tank has hard water already, is there anything i could do to lower the gh? & how would a high gh level effect my fish?

1Rancid.dog said:
My tank has hard water already, is there anything i could do to lower the gh? & how would a high gh level effect my fish?

Driftwood will lower hardness but if you have Africans you don't want to lower it.

I also would ditch the carbon for bio media for your filters. The only thing carbon is good for is clarifying water and removing meds from the tank.

My gh levels are high (160) all my fish are African. Thanks for the advise I'm excited to make a sweet tankscape.

Yea I've read up on the carbon thing andante people say the same thing

Back
Top Bottom