Catching fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandj1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all just wondering if anyone has tips for catching fry. I have one lone fry in my tank from my rusty and I'd like to get the little one into a breeder box to protect her because I'm afraid she's gonna get eaten when she's too big to hide where she's currently hiding.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Small diameter siphon or turkey baster

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thought about using both (I use a turkey baster to clean the gravel in my 3g betta tank) but she's still shy and does the in and out danger checks(kinda like nemo and marlin in finding nemo) and she hides in the crack again @ the slightest movement.

That's her hiding spot bottom pic has her in it :) the rock formation is almost in the corner of the tank as well

Attachments

• 1401747732884.jpg
    1401747732884.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 1401747766061.jpg
    1401747766061.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 92
What is that? Looks rammish..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She's a hybrid the momma is a rusty (I. Sperengrae) and the dad is a kenyi ( M.Lombardi) so African (hope I got all my Latin names spelt right)

I used a net to remove all of my cichlid fry. It was a pain and I had to remove everything out of the tank.

Lol removing everything and rescaping is how I found the little one

Ok apparently I'm blind as how I just found a second fry hiding out in and swimming around a rock cave :)

I have a really tiny net, with micron sized holes. Haven't used it for a long time. Other than a down stem catch when I take my filters out to clean them.

I use siphon hoses for catching fry in complexly decorated tanks. You may also want to try a contraption they sell for marine tanks that catch bristle worms and unwanted shrimps and such. You would be baiting this and since the fish are small, they may be more inclined to go into the trap for the food. This would make catching them much easier so you don't have to break down the tank again.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom