Catching the little monsters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave9365

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Best tried and tested way of catching the monsters in a fully established tank.
I am not prepared to empty the tank just to catch one them! Grrrrrr! Outsmarted by a fish!!

I've caught them at feeding time before. I know it's sneaky, but when you feed they trust for the food and coming running and you nab them. It works for me. Or as bad as it sounds, if the fish is being nasty and you desperately need them out, chase them until they are tired and then you can catch them easy.

If you're still having problems - try using 2 nets. I have found that to be rather effective when catching fast fish. Move the nets slowly - as if you're going to sandwich the fish between them - when you get reasonably close, move one net quickly toward the other. The fish will typically dart immediately into the net directly behind them - and then, mission accomplished.
Good luck!!

I always use the feed method but I put the net in the water during the day so they get used to it, throw the food in when I get back from work and lift the net, usually get more fish than I wanted but that's not a bad thing lol.

Try at feeding time works sometimes. If that doesn't work make a soda bottle trap.

I take a 20oz or larger if your fish is larger.
1. Cut the top off right above where the able is.
2. remove the label
3. Cut the bottle neck off to give a bigger hole ( just a bit larger than the fish).
4. Invert the top and squeeze it in so its snug.
5. Drop some pellets in and set it on the bottom of your tank.

Sit back and wait it may take a while and you may catch some fish you didn't want. If this happens release it back and try again. It has worked for me with both cichlids and puffers. You can leave it and come back and check it every so often.

First I drop a few pellets into my tank, thanI have some large nls pellets, I put into my net. I'll dip the net in, fish are all interested, all try to swim into the net to get the pellets, but you can pick and choose who swims into the net and who doesn't. Works for me all the time

In the end I had to empty out the 50kg of slate I have in my 55g and chase the little sod until he was exhausted...that was 2 days ago...I've just caught another one using the 'feeding time and putting pellets in the net' trick and he still remembers and was the only one that stayed hidden away lol

In the end I had to empty out the 50kg of slate I have in my 55g and chase the little sod until he was exhausted...that was 2 days ago...I've just caught another one using the 'feeding time and putting pellets in the net' trick and he still remembers and was the only one that stayed hidden away lol

Hey be happy you don't have to take out 250 pounds of rock and empty half the tank like I do.

Did you try the soda bottle trap? It works for me every time.

I have one bigger net (maybe 6") and one small one. I herd the target out into the open with the small one and the big net makes it easy. The little net is small enough to get into the rocks without much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom