Catfish for 125g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just put sand in my 125 gallon with 2 Oscars and a convict and now I'm looking for a good size catfish. Im not really interested in pictus because they don't get very big. And i like Red tail catfish but I really can't afford to have a 4 foot catfish. I want something medium-large size if I can. Any suggestions? And I also want something that's active during the day too.

I got a synd with my set up he active pretty good lookin at they ain't picky eaters

Couldnt find any of those. What if I do a group of 4-5 Pictus? Or a giraffe nose catfish?

Syndo's r pretty common and I would go with them. Also eclipse catfish r sold at petsmart. Also the Asian bumble bee catfish is a good choice. And pitcus do get to a good size 8"

I'd say none, oscars are a high bioload and IMO a large cat would push the tank to or over it's limit, especially a messy species like red tail or shovelnose. Just my opinion. I would get anything that gets larger than 6" personally, if you're dead set on a cat

Okay then yes I'll wait and not get a catfish until I upgrade my canister filter.

I wouldn't add anything else IMO 2 oscars need every bit of water and space a 125 can offer. With that con you are already pushing it I would pass on the catfish.

Especially anything like a Lima they get way to big for a 125. A Lima gets 18 inches.

I'd say none, oscars are a high bioload and IMO a large cat would push the tank to or over it's limit, especially a messy species like red tail or shovelnose. Just my opinion. I would get anything that gets larger than 6" personally, if you're dead set on a cat
I wouldn't add anything else IMO 2 oscars need every bit of water and space a 125 can offer. With that con you are already pushing it I would pass on the catfish.

Especially anything like a Lima they get way to big for a 125. A Lima gets 18 inches.

+1 I agree with this. Having 2 oscars and convicts really puts your tank at stocked limits.

Silver tipped sharks are brackish water fish and don't belong in a freshwater tank they get big anyway and I really wouldn't add anything.

A buddy of mine has had a Bala Shark in his tank for years - straight freshwater. It's possible.

Hahaha what the bala catfish is called that because its referred to that the actual name is a silver tipped shark? The bala shark is a bala shark not cat. And he should not add a group of them let alone anything to his tank. And just wondering how do they look at all like a catfish?

Back
Top Bottom