Caves and decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdaddy2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I just use regular slate from the Home Depot to create my rock formations?

I don't see why not. I've found that most people have a rock yard in their area that have a much better selection than Home Depot. Usually very good prices as well. Definitely don't buy rock at your LFS, way too expensive.

47010-albums11423-picture62572.jpg

Wow that is a stunning tAnk! Where did you get the middle rock? It looks like coral on it! I want it!!! You must message me where u got it

I don't see why not. I've found that most people have a rock yard in their area that have a much better selection than Home Depot. Usually very good prices as well. Definitely don't buy rock at your LFS, way too expensive.
I agree 100%, I get my lava rock boulders at a landscape place for under $.30 a pound then bust them into smaller rocks with a sledge hammer

image-872286591.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is a stunning tAnk! Where did you get the middle rock? It looks like coral on it! I want it!!! You must message me where u got it

Thank you. This is why I know not to buy rocks at your LFS... lol. :whistle: However, my favorite LFS got some rocks in that were pulled out of some springs in Florida. My tank is 30" tall so I wanted to get some height.

I found these rocks (below) for really cheap at a stone yard. Have this in my 55 gal.
You can put together a formation right there on the ground. If it will stand there it should in your tank. Make sure supporting rocks are on the glass.

47010-albums11423-picture62573.jpg

I know what you mean. You certainly don't want to put a sharp rock on the glass and create a pressure point. My main worry was so the fish don't dig under the rocks and collapse them. I never thought cichlids could move sand as much as they do. Guess they have nothing better to do... ha.

Compare this photo below to the one above. This Redtop Zebra moved all that sand (down to the glass) by his little lonesome. :angel:

47010-albums11423-picture64675.jpg

Last edited:
I have a ton if mountain stone where I live .. It's all free! Just make sure you do a acid test or at the bare minimum a vinegar test, to test for active metals..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387324696.081912.jpg

How do you do an acid test for metal and why? I also have lots of beautiful rock available all around me. Didn't know about a test though ...

How do you do an acid test for metal and why? I also have lots of beautiful rock available all around me. Didn't know about a test though ...

You can use hydrochloric acid , but I think more commonly people use vinegar (that's what I use). You find a rock or rocks you like, make sure their dry and clean of debris. Pour some vinegar over the rock, if you get any reaction , bubbling , streaks , etc, toss it. If not , take it home and use it .. To clean mine , I usually take a bucket or trash can and let the rocks soak for a day or two , then pour boiling water on them. Then I use a little cheapo pressure washer just to get them super clean .. That's what I do , and so far have had zero health issues

Ok I will try it. I just soaked mine then bleached then soaked again then baked them. I figured it would kill everything. What are you looking for with the vinegar?

A reaction , the acid from the vinegar will react with metals in the rock and the vinegar will bubble up.. You want no reaction to use them

Back
Top Bottom