Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Centerpiece fish for nano river tank? Pseudomugil furcatus?

Tank specs:
8g, 24"x6.5"x12", NO3 dosed to ~10, 7.0pH, heavily planted, ~30x one-way current, high oxygenation (diy wet/dry, reverse photo-period sump), 74-76F. You can see pics and read about it in the river tank link in my sig if interested. I need to rearrange tanks and plan on keeping 4 kuhlii loaches, 1 hillstream loach, 2 otocinclus, and many shrimp in the tank.

Currently have cherry barbs but find them boring and have another home for them. Infatuated with look and reputation of blue-eyed dwarf rainbowfish said to come from rivers, particularly http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Furcatus.htm Is my tank too small? Suggestions for other fish?

Thanks

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

bump. I have an offer from a local breeder to pick up a half dozen Pseudomugil gertrudae if smaller is better. I can also drop current to ~20x one way easily if those experienced think its better.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I've ordered Pseudomugil gertrudae. Plan on continuing experiments with current in hopes of setting up a nice enviorment for them. Will document my experience if anyone is interested or is considering this fish.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

For some reason I keep missing your threads czcz! This is the first time I've seen this one. I have never seen this particular rainbow and I think it looks spectacular. By all means, document this. I'm interested in seeing how it acclimates to your tank.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

ok

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The hatchery that I go to hatches the Pseudomugil gertrudae. I really like these fish, and in a few months, I'd like to set up a tank for them. So I would be very interested in your experiences with them! Thanks for that link! I found another site about them but yours is nicer!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I was hoping to pick up from breeder today but they won't be available until Monday. Will have pics and info up shortly then after. I have a standing offer to trade for furcatus though, and if anyone has input if the 2" fish will work I'd appreciate it (gertrudae is ~1"). I still prefer furcatus on looks alone. Most info on the net is on breeding, and much of it is not in English. I'll keep you two up to date. Wish me luck

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Good luck! Can't wait for pics!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Good luck...It'll be the first time in a long time that I looked forward to a Monday.

Tags
centerpiece, centerpiece fish, nano, river, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com