Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Changing colors

I recently bought 2 black convict cichlids I believe they are both female they are in a tank with two young oscars its a 55g tank and yes I know I need bigger but water parameters are a lil off my tank went through a second cycle I ditched carbon and got a lot of ceramic bio Max but the problem I have been having is my convicts change colors most the smaller female not to sure if its normal she goes pale the seconds later she's colorful again I have a very light crushed coral substrate dark plants some dark slate rocks and caves water temp is a constant 77 degrees. So what could be the cause? Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Also found out that there is ich in the tank on a diff fish what's best to clear it up I know it go through cycles and at points is immune to chems

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Almost all fish change colors due to stress and can also be the substrate and it's environment. Some fish are more prone to color changes, for example, a red tail shark. I am not familiar with convicts so maybe someone else would know more..but that's my 2 cents haha.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The only thing with stress is that most people say the stay like that for a little while mine you could look at her and look at a diff fish and its has dark colors again
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2022 View Post
The only thing with stress is that most people say the stay like that for a little while mine you could look at her and look at a diff fish and its has dark colors again
Hmm.. my acei cichlid changes allll the time..it seems like in the blink of the eye he can be like almost black and then he'll be like an electric blue and you can see his stripes and his yellow tail really easy.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That seems to be what my convicts are doin well one of them one is always real dark but will show really dark blues that stand out
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
That seems to be what my convicts are doin well one of them one is always real dark but will show really dark blues that stand out
Yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about color..if you have color enhancing food and have everything else good they should be consistant after while. Or maybe not..lol. Color can be a sign of stress..but if you think they're fine and have no other problems..then I wouldnt worry too much :P
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Alright thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Alright thanks
Yup, no problem..maybe some people who have convicts could let you know more and if it's common, because I don't know.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

My convict gets darker and more color when ready to breed! The females have a constant orange patch on belly. Males don't.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Just got a male yesterday the bigger female is really dark now

Tags
changing, colors

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Red jewel | Bloat? »