Changing Hardscape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard that changing a hardscape every so often in an African Cichlid tank will cut down on aggression and bring territorial. Is this true?

I have heard this is true. Throws them for a loop and they don't know what's where or who's

I don't have Africans, I have South Americans. I change mine around every month, sometime more. I don't see it make the fish think twice about where they are of if another fish is in its personal space. Maybe africans are different.

I've seen it in my tank (African) that if I have two males "scrapping" over a particular area of the tank and I "change it up" they usually find a new spot. Saying that though there is always a period of higher activity in my tank after a change because everyone is looking for their "new" spot.

I've seen it in my tank (African) that if I have two males "scrapping" over a particular area of the tank and I "change it up" they usually find a new spot. Saying that though there is always a period of higher activity in my tank after a change because everyone is looking for their "new" spot.

Yah, Warren Gibbons had a whole segment on changing it up is an effective method. I don't keep cichlids and don't know behavioral characteristics between different regions, I just recall the whole "changing scapes" disorients and distracts them.

Sometimes their territorial aggression gets really bad. Especially if you have two fish on each side of the tank that won't allow anyone come near. By changing the land scape they are always looking for a new spot that will sometimes help. If one doesn't stop being super aggressive. I've taking some out for a couple weeks and added them back in. Sometimes their moods change and sometimes they don't. If it gets that bad then your going to need to rehome it, you''ve done all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom