changing tank over, from tropical to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:agree: ^^^ with moguroko

If your tap is reading 6.5 and in the tank at 7.5 you'll be fine. I've seen where ph can just all of a sudden drop so adding crushed coral is a very good idea IMO. I would make azure it stays up then take any chances of it dropping
okay that sounds good. i know nothing about crushed coral. how much do i need? how do i know when i need to replace it if i even have to? will adding a little increase the ph and adding alot of it increase it alot??? or the amount doesnt matter?

With your size tank and what you're ordering I would not recommend acei with cyanotilapia afra cobue. Acei are too peaceful and will end up dead. Even yellow labs will be stressed.

With your size tank and what you're ordering I would not recommend acei with cyanotilapia afra cobue. Acei are too peaceful and will end up dead. Even yellow labs will be stressed.

That's not completely true I have all of them in one tank. They are all less peaceful IMO. But I did tell her 30 threads ago not to do the acei because of size and swimming paterns. But ya you know how that goes..

That's not completely true I have all of them in one tank. They are all less peaceful IMO. But I did tell her 30 threads ago not to do the acei because of size and swimming paterns. But ya you know how that goes..

In your tank size I don't have an issue when they are together however in a narrow 55g I see that causing issues in the future.

In your tank size I don't have an issue when they are together however in a narrow 55g I see that causing issues in the future.

Urrrg :( i love those kinds though :( i really wanted an acie. Shay in chat room had told me it would be okay but yes a bit tight... i guess i won't do them :( i am for sure for sure doing electric yellow, maybe do 8 though? I would prob get them from the cheapest store around here for 10.99. There are some half an hour away but they are just labeled assorted. Will those for sure be electric? They are yellow and have the black line on the top. They are only 5.99, same size. Prob grab 4 from one store and 4 from another? I am having a hard time finding area cobues around here....

My mom doesn't like the look of the afra codue.... I am now down to only getting the electric yellows. I found one that has the same black line on the tip fin and i like the look of it. Cichlid Profiles could i get them? they do end up being about 6 inches it says....

I have p. Socolofi with yellow labs in a 55. Started with 8 of each when they were 2". At 3-4" i now have four of them with about 12 labs.

I have p. Socolofi with yellow labs in a 55. Started with 8 of each when they were 2". At 3-4" i now have four of them with about 12 labs.
from what i saw on the internet they are not to nice of a fish

i have sat here for ever and gone through about 20 different cichlids... i have gone down to 3. can you tell me what ones might be best to go with the electric yellows?? I am going to put them in order, first ones i want more then the last ones.
Cichlid Profiles
Cichlid Profiles
Cichlid Profiles

i have sat here for ever and gone through about 20 different cichlids... i have gone down to 3. can you tell me what ones might be best to go with the electric yellows?? I am going to put them in order, first ones i want more then the last ones.
Cichlid Profiles
Cichlid Profiles
Cichlid Profiles

No to all of them except maybe the elongatus. I don't think I've ever seen that one for sale here so for you it may be a pain to get

Elongatus will work since their aggression is most seen towards their own species (Conspecific). However you will have a hard time finding them.

No to all of them except maybe the elongatus. I don't think I've ever seen that one for sale here so for you it may be a pain to get

Okay. Yes i don't want ones that are a pain to get.... i am going to be buying electric yellows from the store very soon. Maybe even this week. I just sold all the fish but neons and 2 bnp that are in the tank now. Should i do 6 or 8 electric??? And what else is easy to get and goes good with them?? I want like blues, whites, like bright nice colors, no rustys

Okay. Yes i don't want ones that are a pain to get.... i am going to be buying electric yellows from the store very soon. Maybe even this week. I just sold all the fish but neons and 2 bnp that are in the tank now. Should i do 6 or 8 electric??? And what else is easy to get and goes good with them?? I want like blues, whites, like bright nice colors, no rustys

Kenyi can be an option. They aren't expensive, easy to find and females stay blue while the male turns yellow and is distinctively different than a yellow lab.

Kenyi can be an option. They aren't expensive, easy to find and females stay blue while the male turns yellow and is distinctively different than a yellow lab.
aren't Kenyi's butt heads???. will they be easy to pick out? the blue and yellow fish with stripes more less or no?

if you use the right "decor" for a cichlid tank your PH will stay high. I used a lot of limestone rock, i also used the "cichlid"substrate. my ph has been a steady 8.4 no chems needed.

Cynotilapia species are just as aggressive as Kenyi. They are blue with black stripes and when the male matures he turns solid yellow.

Cynotilapia species are just as aggressive as Kenyi. They are blue with black stripes and when the male matures he turns solid yellow.
okay i just went and bought 4 yellow labs today... i didnt buy the babies since they only had on electric yellow, they are about 2 inches, if not smaller. I want to get a few more but the guy basically said if i get 4 of them and 2 other cichlids of two different kinds, so there is a total of 8... and then its stocked. i was told more can go in like 13-16ish. can/should i just get 10 electric yellows and one acie? i know they get big but just get one and dont over crowed the tank with only 11 fish??

I honestly disagree.. mayb i just got lucky but my cynotilapia is more peaceful then my electric yellow labs.. my cyno is never the aggressor and is only mean when messed with.. my labs actually start fights .

I honestly disagree.. mayb i just got lucky but my cynotilapia is more peaceful then my electric yellow labs.. my cyno is never the aggressor and is only mean when messed with.. my labs actually start fights .

Yes the personality sometimes can change things. I don't think i am special ordering fish anymore... i got 4 electric labs today and they are a step up from the babies . About 2 inches. The only other fish they have that are the same size are Acei. Auratus. Kennyi. Venustus. Damasoni. Milomo.

Yes the personality sometimes can change things. I don't think i am special ordering fish anymore... i got 4 electric labs today and they are a step up from the babies . About 2 inches. The only other fish they have that are the same size are Acei. Auratus. Kennyi. Venustus. Damasoni. Milomo.

Well the kenyi is aggressive as is te demasoni which requires alot of rock , the auratus is aggressive also .. not sure about the last one and the venustus i would have to look up but if memory serves me right itll b to big .. not sure on it though bc there are tons of cichlids to try n remember.. lol

Back
Top Bottom