chcilid's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatorjon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to start a new tank ad want to know the most colorful and ones I can mix match with each other? What would be my best bed? Thanks for your input.

Go with blue acei, yellow lab, and other assorted. They look great and work well together.

Would a cock a too go with them and other like that? Maybe a JD as well?

Still looking for the best deal but the smallest would be a 55. Want a 75.

A 75 actually gives you a lot more options than a 55. In any case, you can't mix Africans with South or Central American cichlids, and Apisto's like cockatoos wouldn't work with any larger species.
Here's a link to some general guidelines for stocking, but you really need to research the individual requirements of whatever species you want to keep: Aquarium Quick Reference Resources - Cichlid Keeping

I'll admit I'm biased but, I really do feel that the African Mbunas have the best colors and the largest variety of colors, IMO.
For now I have a 55g with various Mbunas and they are fascinating and beautiful to watch. They can even hold the attention of my 10 year old grandson.

gatorjon,

Ya gotta figure out what fish you want (Mbuna vs. African vs. South American and so on) then set your tank up for what that type of fishes natural habitat is. Like the Africans from Lake Victoria prefer a High PH and rock tunnels kind of thing but the Oscars and JDs need a very large tank to flourish. So get to studying on what you want vs what you have the money and capabillity to do. :)

As far as African Cichlids are concened Mbuna have the most personality. but color wise Peacocks take the cake IMO, for best color they should be kept in groups of 1m to 4 or 5 fm.

As far as African Cichlids are concened Mbuna have the most personality. but color wise Peacocks take the cake IMO, for best color they should be kept in groups of 1m to 4 or 5 fm.

I agree with you about the personality of Mbunas, but I thinks it's 50/50 on the color between Peacocks and Mbunas.
But like I said, I am very biased when it comes to my cichlids

Im starting to feel this MTS stuff coming on with all the talk about Mbuna personallity. Geeze yall are gonna cause a divorce lol

I love my mbuna, most mbuna are 1 solid color as to where a peacock can be multicolored. I really like that fact.

There are alot of mbuna species available in the hobby that are not one solid color. In fact I think they outnumber the one solid color species.

Additionally, depending on the species, female mbuna's can be just as colorful as the males (which is not the case with peacocks). :cool:

There are alot of mbuna species available in the hobby that are not one solid color. In fact I think they outnumber the one solid color species.

Additionally, depending on the species, female mbuna's can be just as colorful as the males (which is not the case with peacocks). :cool:

:agree:

Back
Top Bottom