Chemi pure elite, make any difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe that's the product, I'm just thinking about my tank and what not, while at work. Does this stuff make that big of a difference?

Didn't do much for me. I used it in my 65g, in a fluval fx5. It didn't do anything to the parameters or keep the water any cleaner then usual. I have swore off every kind of media besides foam filter pads. That's all you need is foam pads and some type of bio filtration.

Didn't do much for me. I used it in my 65g, in a fluval fx5. It didn't do anything to the parameters or keep the water any cleaner then usual. I have swore off every kind of media besides foam filter pads. That's all you need is foam pads and some type of bio filtration.

I agree^^^^

I've used it and didn't notice a difference either.

I've never used but I thought you salty guys can't live without it?

Yeah for a reef tank I use it but I'll be honest I don't see a difference there either. I run that and purigen in my media rack (reef tank)

If I run nothing other then poly fill, I don't see a difference. I'm thinking of saving my money for a vacation rather then more bags of purigen and cases of chemi pure elite. Besides poly fill is much much cheaper :)

Oh thanks for clearing that up. From a couple reviews I read, people swear by it. Say their water looks like it came from a babbling brook in mt. Fiji basically. Cool, I'll just save my monies, put it towards that LSD

Where do you guys get your polyfill actually?

Cool, I'll just save my monies, put it towards that LSD

Hey ... if LSD floats your boat who are we to argue:D ... just don't let the Feds read this thread;).

As for Poly-fill, I get mine at Michaels Arts and Crafts. 20oz bag for about $5 at most and it'll last you months even if it's being used on 2-3 different filters.
K-mart, Walmart, Target ... they all carry it ... just make sure it's 100% Poly-fill. NO fire retardants, perfumes, anti mold additives etc.

Can I use this in place of the polishing pad in my canister?? And how often do u change it?

Hah ehh I'll stick with the LED for now. And alright cool, I'm gonna have to check into that. Right now I'm using a fine felt pad, will it work any better or the same?

Also side question; I just completed my fish less cycle, took a little over two weeks, with some seeding material from my lfs. In less than 24 hours I'm turning 4 ppm of pure ammonia into all zeros across the board, even for my nitrates... Is this common? I thought they were suppose to be sky high. Is it possible I just grew bb that is also devouring my nitrates??

Also side question; I just completed my fish less cycle, took a little over two weeks, with some seeding material from my lfs. In less than 24 hours I'm turning 4 ppm of pure ammonia into all zeros across the board, even for my nitrates... Is this common? I thought they were suppose to be sky high. Is it possible I just grew bb that is also devouring my nitrates??

There's no BB (that I'm aware of) that consumes Nitrates, commonly, it has to either be removed via PWC's or used by plants as a nutrient. You should have some nitrates ... do you have any plants? If not how are you testing? If it's strips it's probably faulty ... those are not very reliable.

If your using a liquid kit like API test master, just ensure you are following the instructions precisely. With my API, nitrates requires the most detailed procedures .. I think the bottle to be shaken very vigorously first. Try it again later today / tomorrow ... maybe by now the nitrates have built up enough.

There's no BB (that I'm aware of) that consumes Nitrates, commonly, it has to either be removed via PWC's or used by plants as a nutrient. You should have some nitrates ... do you have any plants? If not how are you testing? If it's strips it's probably faulty ... those are not very reliable.

If your using a liquid kit like API test master, just ensure you are following the instructions precisely. With my API, nitrates requires the most detailed procedures .. I think the bottle to be shaken very vigorously first. Try it again later today / tomorrow ... maybe by now the nitrates have built up enough.

Oh ya, figured it out. Was testing it in accurately.. Nitrates are booming, over one hundo mill for sure. Thanks for the info, I need to read directions more often..

Back
Top Bottom