chiclid food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what about african chiclids, petstore said they eat frozen shrimp im thinkiun about gettin em some ghost shrimp, they r cheap around hjere

My Tanganyikans get a regular diet of African cichlid and Spirulina flakes along with HBH soft pellets and frozen foods.

The Discus, Severum, "rock kribs" and Bloivian rams get a steady diet of flakes, pellets and frozen foods (bloodworms, mysis shrimp, omega 3 and spirukina enhanced brine shrimp, krill, plankton, beefheart (for the discus) and mussel.

Bryan

My cichlids use me as a waiter.

They never give tips. :lol:

But they have never complained with the 3 course meals they get everyday. Mind you they will only eat a la carte and not a set meal.

Shrimp is the favourite.

I feed my Oscar all of these foods....
Pellets, carnivore sticks, freezedried krill, fresh and freezedried earthworm, fresh crickets, fresh mealworms, any insect I can catch (small chance of pesticides), small frogs, raw/cooked shrimp, bits of raw cut fish, algae wafers, bits of veggies (zucchini, carrot, shelled peas, shelled corn and etc...) and I supplement his nutrition by soaking his pellets 3-4 times a week in the forementioned liquid vitamin.

A quality cichlid pellet and/or stick should constitute 75-80% of your O's diet.
All the rest should be fed sparingly as a treat or snack.

nitrous said:
what about african chiclids, petstore said they eat frozen shrimp im thinkiun about gettin em some ghost shrimp, they r cheap around hjere
Different types of Africans eat different foods, there are herbivores, piscivores and omnivores.
Research your fishs needs carefully before buying.

Well, i guess i will start a reply here cause i have found something that is just awesome.

It is a food called New Life Spectrum. Let me tell you, best food EVER!
If you are in Canada you can get it at http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/

From this site you can find the american sites as well if i am not mistaken.

I highly suggest you go to this site and look at the ingredients etc.

I have been using it for just under a month and i have NEVER seen fish go so wild for food as this one ... and the colors that it produces WOW!!!!

If i can ever recommend a food higher then this one i will be surprised!

We can't answer this question unless we know what type of african cichlids you have. Some are herbivores and do very well on flakes and vegetables while other are carnivores and require more protein in their diets such as live food.
If you purchased from the "assorted african" tank they are likely mbuna which are herbivores and need veggies and flakes and are susceptible to bloat if fed too much protein.

Back
Top Bottom