Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes definitely stack higher. Just to be sure your water tests ok right? Same was happening to me water was fine yet seemed like 1 by 1 they were getting picked off and I finally had enough and f randomly stacked all sorts of rock and its been good since except for a male killing a male. Here's it currently. No rocks have fallen and its been a year. I don't have egg crate but do for my next tank as its taller so I wanna stack higher!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387410598.228902.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	212575Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387410610.444035.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	212576

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water is ok ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates at 40ppm - and I know, some of you will jump and say that's too high. It's just that the guy who sold me the tank a year ago kept his nitrates between 40 and 160ppm (!). Fish were doing fine.

I just have too many look alike male fish.

Got 4 flagstone flat pieces and some limestone blocks from a garden center for $18 - much cheaper than the petco or LFS. Here is what the tank looks like now. Still have to figure out how to get more caves but it much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387418025.875354.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	212595Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387418042.097950.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	212596

Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Some advice from my experience, try to get the base stones buried to at least be halfway down into the substrate. This will make it harder for them to dig out under them.
Lost a fish before because I didn't put a stone deep enough. Dug out under it and collapsed the formation on top of him.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm gonna be the one who jumps you about nitrates. I know his fish loomed fine keeping them between 40 and 160 ppm but I'm sure that caused issues in the long run. It becomes toxic above 20 ppm that is probably why your fish died not from stress from poisoning. You don't have to take my advice but I suggest doing 50 percent weekly water changed it really will benefit the health of your fish in the long run.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Josh7, you were very nice about it. I will keep my nitrates under 40ppm from now on and see what happens. The guy who sold us the tank and the fish said he did monthly water changes. I don't know if he was lying (about how little maintenance a fish tank needs to sell us on it) or if it was really his schedule. In any case, I have been doing them biweekly. The tank is not fully stocked but you are right, I might need more water changes.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenuphar View Post
Hi Josh7, you were very nice about it. I will keep my nitrates under 40ppm from now on and see what happens. The guy who sold us the tank and the fish said he did monthly water changes. I don't know if he was lying (about how little maintenance a fish tank needs to sell us on it) or if it was really his schedule. In any case, I have been doing them biweekly. The tank is not fully stocked but you are right, I might need more water changes.

Just saying I used to be bad about my water changes (about once every 2 or 3 weeks) but ever since I've done 50% weekly changes my fish seem so much happier and healthier! So jus to let you know.. I agree with josh7

Tags
question, restocking, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com