Cichlid 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmiller88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help with cichlids a little bit. What I need help on is how to sex African cichlids and how to tell. Also just give me a general rundown on which Africans can go with which types. Any help is greatly appreciated as im trying to learn everything cichlids as I work in a pet store(im only 17 so bare with me)

Im 15 so age doesnt matter haha. I dont know. A lot about africans but ill help you best i can. With sexing i have no clue. But as to stocking dont mix lakes. Thats (as far as i can tell) the major stocking rule with africans. Keep shellies with shellies, and pay attention to aggression levels and stock accordingly. Sorry, thats all i can hp you with. Im a sa/ca guy.

Im 15 so age doesnt matter haha. I dont know. A lot about africans but ill help you best i can. With sexing i have no clue. But as to stocking dont mix lakes. Thats (as far as i can tell) the major stocking rule with africans. Keep shellies with shellies, and pay attention to aggression levels and stock accordingly. Sorry, thats all i can hp you with. Im a sa/ca guy.

Ok thanks anyway...btw I know flowerhorn is SA but I have one in my all African tank(I know its a no no) and I plan on getting rid of that and the haps I was told to get rid of but everybody says flowers are very aggressive but mines 3ins and it shows 0 aggresion at all never has once even chased anybody. Do you think I could keep him still?

Ok thanks anyway...btw I know flowerhorn is SA but I have one in my all African tank(I know its a no no) and I plan on getting rid of that and the haps I was told to get rid of but everybody says flowers are very aggressive but mines 3ins and it shows 0 aggresion at all never has once even chased anybody. Do you think I could keep him still?

Get rid of him or get a diff tank. He will eventually get very aggressive. Plus its easier to move it when its small. So either new tank or new home. If your pressed on keeping him theres nothing anyone here can do to stop you. So if you do just keep a VERY close eye.

Get rid of him or get a diff tank. He will eventually get very aggressive. Plus its easier to move it when its small. So either new tank or new home. If your pressed on keeping him theres nothing anyone here can do to stop you. So if you do just keep a VERY close eye.

Well my work(LFS) currently has some sort of bacterial infection on the flower horns :( so I dont want to put him back in that tank and have him get it too so right now im babysitting him lol

i would get rid of it asap, they WILL become aggressive towards each other and will likely kill each other. flowerhorns should also have a 75 to themselves. i would stock working around your yellow labs. maybe add some malawi peacocks

Your house, or store i guess. Just somewhere else to put the flowerhorn.

My house no but ive been on vacation for a week and were closed sunday so I dont know if we have any open tanks or the other got tank got better. Ill give you an update Monday!! I would love to see pictures of your tank/tanks

My house no but ive been on vacation for a week and were closed sunday so I dont know if we have any open tanks or the other got tank got better. Ill give you an update Monday!! I would love to see pictures of your tank/tanks

As requested.

img_2605315_0_30d2ef854180a584091931676dbc4a97.jpg

img_2605315_1_c0930dd58f52a2431dcadb4f6f531eb7.jpg

img_2605315_2_79f6c3dc11179607847d77d4a8c2a563.jpg

img_2605315_3_14e1981cf3852c3f15b9aaadfbc6ebec.jpg

img_2605315_4_8f6e39961761afe1e67f7daa665b62de.jpg

img_2605315_5_4c83279cf5cc3ec0aa4b6ff02783c59e.jpg

img_2605315_6_4a77ba5ace59faeb871c8b65ec832533.jpg

img_2605315_7_bff47561d112a72964cb381e29871676.jpg

Very cool! Whats in the empty tank? Also is that a killifish of the close up pic?

The double decker is two 55g tanks. Top has a 5-6" silver arowana. Bottom now has sand and will be set up tomorrow. Two gorrila blue umbees will be in it. The other is a 150. I dont have killifish. The really close close up is a 2" jaguar cichlid. (The black spot one)

The double decker is two 55g tanks. Top has a 5-6" silver arowana. Bottom now has sand and will be set up tomorrow. Two gorrila blue umbees will be in it. The other is a 150. I dont have killifish. The really close close up is a 2" jaguar cichlid. (The black spot one)

Lol no I knew that was a jag I meant the silver one. But that other guys told me already

Lol, time to rebuild that stand.

Naa, i will just cut open the right side XD. The sand is in the tank and im about to go home and fill her up with clay pots and rocks and today is waterchange day so i will take a piece of already seeded media out of a canister and seed the filters for this tank.

Back
Top Bottom