Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cichlid 101

I need help with cichlids a little bit. What I need help on is how to sex African cichlids and how to tell. Also just give me a general rundown on which Africans can go with which types. Any help is greatly appreciated as im trying to learn everything cichlids as I work in a pet store(im only 17 so bare with me)

Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im 15 so age doesnt matter haha. I dont know. A lot about africans but ill help you best i can. With sexing i have no clue. But as to stocking dont mix lakes. Thats (as far as i can tell) the major stocking rule with africans. Keep shellies with shellies, and pay attention to aggression levels and stock accordingly. Sorry, thats all i can hp you with. Im a sa/ca guy.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post
Im 15 so age doesnt matter haha. I dont know. A lot about africans but ill help you best i can. With sexing i have no clue. But as to stocking dont mix lakes. Thats (as far as i can tell) the major stocking rule with africans. Keep shellies with shellies, and pay attention to aggression levels and stock accordingly. Sorry, thats all i can hp you with. Im a sa/ca guy.
Ok thanks anyway...btw I know flowerhorn is SA but I have one in my all African tank(I know its a no no) and I plan on getting rid of that and the haps I was told to get rid of but everybody says flowers are very aggressive but mines 3ins and it shows 0 aggresion at all never has once even chased anybody. Do you think I could keep him still?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller88 View Post

Ok thanks anyway...btw I know flowerhorn is SA but I have one in my all African tank(I know its a no no) and I plan on getting rid of that and the haps I was told to get rid of but everybody says flowers are very aggressive but mines 3ins and it shows 0 aggresion at all never has once even chased anybody. Do you think I could keep him still?
Get rid of him or get a diff tank. He will eventually get very aggressive. Plus its easier to move it when its small. So either new tank or new home. If your pressed on keeping him theres nothing anyone here can do to stop you. So if you do just keep a VERY close eye.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:

Get rid of him or get a diff tank. He will eventually get very aggressive. Plus its easier to move it when its small. So either new tank or new home. If your pressed on keeping him theres nothing anyone here can do to stop you. So if you do just keep a VERY close eye.
Well my work(LFS) currently has some sort of bacterial infection on the flower horns so I dont want to put him back in that tank and have him get it too so right now im babysitting him lol
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

i would get rid of it asap, they WILL become aggressive towards each other and will likely kill each other. flowerhorns should also have a 75 to themselves. i would stock working around your yellow labs. maybe add some malawi peacocks
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Well my work(LFS) currently has some sort of bacterial infection on the flower horns so I dont want to put him back in that tank and have him get it too so right now im babysitting him lol
Do you have any other tanks?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:

Do you have any other tanks?
In my house or store?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

In my house or store?
Your house, or store i guess. Just somewhere else to put the flowerhorn.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #10

Quote:

Your house, or store i guess. Just somewhere else to put the flowerhorn.
My house no but ive been on vacation for a week and were closed sunday so I dont know if we have any open tanks or the other got tank got better. Ill give you an update Monday!! I would love to see pictures of your tank/tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com