Cichlid advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just had one of my yellow labs die. I knew it was coming the poor thing wouldn't eat pretty much from the day I bought it. There were no signs of aggression or it being picked on. To be honest I'm surprised at that. So any other reasons why it did not make it? I do 2 water changes a week and I'm very diligent when it comes to maintenance

Cichlids are pretty hardy, it could be a number of things. What else is in the tank, and do they show signs of stress? What are your parameters, temp, ph, tank size? How do you treat when doing water changes?
If he had a problem since you got him, he could have been sick to begin with (and could have infected other stock). Or it could just be the difference in parameters from the tank he came from.

The best thing you can do now is make sure your tank parameters are good and keep an eye on your current stock.

Kind of the same happened to me but with a OB Zebra. From day 1, he was a loner and never saw him eat. was not swimming much and died in 2 days.
water parameters were and still are:
temp= 79.3
PH = 8.0
Ammonia=0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
I got me another one and he is very lively and eats.

Ya I checked my water and I even brought it to the lfs to get checked and he said my water is perfect. I did add this fish alone and I think that's what the problem was. Adding them alone sometimes segregates them from the other fish apparently. But from day one this fish didn't seem right.

Ya I checked my water and I even brought it to the lfs to get checked and he said my water is perfect. I did add this fish alone and I think that's what the problem was. Adding them alone sometimes segregates them from the other fish apparently. But from day one this fish didn't seem right.

In my case, the zebra was added with other 4 cichlids.
i think he was just not healthy.
This new one was introduced by himself and seems to get along with all.

Guess ya never really know what's gonna happen. I want too add a few red zebras to my tank. Can't seem to find any that are old enough to sex them. I don't want to buy them blind then have a problem on my hands

Back
Top Bottom