Cichlid advice please (probably Oscars)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenor33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys, after considering starting a SW tank for sometime I have decided to do a Cichlid tank instead( can't afford the LR for a while and refuse to have one without it) I read about the different cichlids until I was dizzy from all the different kinds and couldn't come up with a good group of 8 or so in the 6" to 8" range. I have plenty of little fish already. Soo i'm considering a tank of Oscars and my question is will the Albino ones get along with say maybe the Tiger Oscars. like 3 of each? any suggestions on those or other Cichlids would be greatly helpful TIA... Mike.. btw it's a 75 gallon tank and I have tap water of about 6.8 to 7.0, my planted tank seems to drop to about 6.3

They should get along ok. How big a tank are you putting them in. They will get quite large so they will need the room. I have a 55 gal tank of peacock cichlids. If it is color you are looking for these are the next best thing to a salt water tank. I choose peacocks as they are not as aggressive as some of the others. Good luck on what you choose. :D

An oscar is an oscar- whether it be tiger, albino, long-fin, etc. They should get along fine (more or less) if introduced into a tank while still small and allowed to grow up together. The problem with oscars is they grow to about 14 inches rather quickly, so you wouldn't be able to keep six of them in a 75 gallon for very long. Long term, you'd be looking at two fish at the most.

If you're interested in keeping a group of medium sized cichlids, how about some of the slightly smaller American species? Acaras, firemouths, nicaraguensis, keyhole, rainbow, angels, yellow port are a few species that come to mind, although there are LOTS others.

yeah I knew 6 was to many for a 75 sooner or later and would have to go to 2 but the LFS sells pretty small ones like 2 1/2 or 3 inches and just go from 6 to 4 to 2 eventually. Whitetigers, i'll do a check on those, I have no color requirements just want a few bigger fish instead of a tank of little fish like my other tanks. thanks for the input :) Voodoo, I read somewhere that the Albino ones were not as aggresive, my reason for the question. My lfs has a mated pair of Jack Dempseys and Firemouths with babies. If I bought those 2 pairs would they get along in the 75? thanks for helping me :D

I am not entirely sure I am correct on this (and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong), but looking at your tap water pH, I would suggest the South American cichlids because from what i've read, they like the more neutral pH whereas the african cichlids enjoy a higher pH of 7.5 and higher. When I get my new tank, I am looking at some american cichlids, the firemouth, panda dwarf, etc... but since you have a larger tank, you've got a few more choices :D I bet those Jack Dempseys would be really cool too!

I was mistaken about the 2 pairs at the lfs, it was a mated pair of Texas cichlids and Firemouths, so cool too both pair have a tank FULL of babies :D

I have 2 albino oscars, 2 jack dempseys, and 1 large pleco in a 100 gal. tank, and they are getting pretty crowded. I have read the jack dempseys are more aggressive than oscars, but most of the aggression in the tank is between the oscars. For the most part, they all seem to get along, but 3 of the fish still have some growning to do. 8O

Kenor-

If you're prepared to thin the herd out as needed, you could go with the group of oscars. I've never heard of the albinos supposedly being less aggressive but I suppose it's possible. That might also be a good way to obtain a breeding pair of oscars, as they're basically impossible to sex. They could do the hard part for you.;)

I'm not sure about keeping the Texas and firemouths together. Firemouths are fairly peaceful- as far as C. Americans go- and probably wouldn't stand up to the Texas pair very well: those guys can be tough little buggers! With the proper setup, you MIGHT be able to pull it off in the 75, but I wouldn't try it with anything smaller.

Let us know what you decide to go with.:)

A great way to start out is to go ahead and get six SMALL Oscars and let them pair off and then only keep a mated pair in the 75 gallon tank.

75gal. is the bare MINIMUM for two Oscars.
They would be much more comfortable in a 90gal.

Oscars get VERY large and will be MESSY fish so make sure you have PLENTY of filtration.
A turn over rate of 10x an hour is best.

Voodoo Chilli is correct an Oscar is an Oscar and an Albino is not any less/more aggressive then any other.

I have kept/bread Oscars for several years and at the moment I have 3(soon to be 4) in a 180gal.

Your tap water ph is about ideal for keeping Oscars as they like a ph of 7.0.
I keep the temp at 80-82.

If you intend to breed them keep a piece of flat slate in the tank as they like to lay their eggs on it.

well this is turning into an Oscar novel so..
I hope this helps and let me know if I can help you any more.

In a 75g tank two oscars would be ideal to have but no more than two. They can reach lengths of more than a foot long. One alone should be in a 55gal tank at that size. Don't think that because you see a dozen small oscars in a 20g that it would be good to keep a large amount in a 55 or 75. They can grow extremely fast. I have had my two tigers for approx 1 1\2 months now and they went from 3in to about 5in. If I'm not mistaken they can grow as much as 8-10in in a year. So please don't get more fish than two. Also if you get 3...oscars have a tendency to pair off and pick on others including other oscars. I know this from personal experience.

But if he/she gets six and lets them pair off he/she will have a definate breeding pair and can take the others back to the LFS.

I wouldnt keep more then two in a 75gal.

You should keep 1 Oscar 2 Oscars or several(6 in a HUGE tank).
But as papastew said never keep odd numbers cause the oddball will get picked on.

I know this from YEARS of experience with Oscars.

really appreciate all the imput guys and I'm happy that the Albino aren't less aggresive. I fully understand about how big they get and 2 being the max for a 75. Use to have 2 Oscars about 14 years ago( Bonnie and Clyde :D ) and they were my all time favorite and REALLY big. Only reason I suggested 6 was to hopefully make a pair and then sell/thin em as needed back to the lfs. I know he'd be happy to take some babies off my hands :wink: Now if I could just get him to cut me a deal on some little ones to get me started. thanks again your friend... Mike

Kenor33,
Right now I dont have any little ones... :cry:
The Adult pair I had before the Mother passed away and I gave the father to a good friend of mine then sold the little ones.

So now I am starting over.
I have 3 Oscars about 5in and am looking for a 4th.
I have one common, 1 beautiful tiger, and 1 long fin black Oscar.
For the 4th I want something different and not the same tiger,red, or albino.
I've been searching aquabid alot.

to answer your question in the other thread..
Yes you can feed your Oscars crickets.
I find one outside every now and then and toss it in the tank.
It just hits the water and its gone...lol
Let me know if I can help you anymore.

Back
Top Bottom